Thursday, March 17, 2005

Memories

I've had a lot of time today since I no longer have a TV. And since who knows when I'll be able to do a good blog next, I might as well get in as many as I can.

I moved into this apartment in Aug of 2003. We were celebrating Cara's b-day that night at Sala, which is where I just came from. I remember coming home late night, to a half-unpacked apartment, and just being so happy that it was my own.

The next day was Sunday, and I did a huge food shopping - everything from what I eat daily to stocking up on condiments and things you just keep around for the sake of seeing something when you open your fridge. Four days later was the Blackout. It was five thousand degrees in my apartment, and I remember drinking ice cream out of the container because even lukewarm and liquified, it provided some cooling relief. Everything else in the fridge was ruined.

During the Blackout I met Noah Emmerick, the older bro in The Truman Show. Then I met Rob for drinks at Tavaru, because, in New York, during states of emergencies, people go out drinking. Even when drinks are lukewarm and flat, but hey, they are free.

That weekend we went to the shore house. Came back late Sunday night, and my nightmare at work began. That was the beginning of the end. I never actually furnished this place until late September, because I was too busy working all the time. That, and going to the shore on the weekends.

But then it became my own, and now I am moving into something twice the size, and I have no idea how I am going to furnish it. The bigger question is, will I make LA my own? It took a good two-plus years for me to make New York my own. Maybe five. And now I don't even want it. I guess part of the draw of LA is that it IS something new, something I am not just SO over the top bored with, that I look forward to the challenge.

Tonight we were reminiscing about one of the first weekends we were all in the city. Tom was staying at my aunt's place with me for a few days before hitting up Mike and Chris in the Normandy. So I guess we invited Cara to come in from LI and go out, and she would stay with us as well. For some reason, one of Nick's friends, Mark, was staying on my aunt's couch too, and when we came home from whatever bar we had been at, there was a pack of 14 year old boys (my cousin's friends) running around the apartment, looking for attention from us older, cooler kids. That night will forever be remembered as Romper Room; the funny part is that it didn't end there. Mark had a car, and the next day we went with him on some errand, ended up having drinks down at South Street Seaport, and maybe it was another day that we went to a playground in Central Park. Tom eventually moved his stuff to Chris and Mike's couch, and a few weeks later, was living 7 blocks away with Cara, Heather, and Jen. In a two bedroom apartment.

That was the summer/fall of 98. I moved here from college knowing Miki was in the city, Cara was on LI, and Greaux was in NJ. By Christmas time, Kris was in White Plains, Laura and Karen lived on 89th street, Tom, Heather, and Cara lived on 93rd, Mike and Chris lived on 96th, Miki was still on 23rd, I lived on 86th with Nick and Ryan, Hilary lived on the UWS, and that was just the beginning. Just the first four months! When I think of all the people we would come to reunite with or become friends with for the first time, it truly amazes me. How have I been so lucky? And why am I saying goodbye?

Shouts out to everyone who made New York what it was: My Aunt Barbra, who made it all possible; Kris, Cara, Greaux, and Maria - my four besties; the "early years /Melrose Place" friends - Alison, Hilary, Nick, Karen, Laura, Miki, Dakota, Mustang; the DKE's - Chris, Mike, Tom, Chachi, Darryl(BDD), Fornaro, Brendan, Eagerman; the Delts - Ryan, Clayton, Drew, Danbeck, Sharad, Martoken; Rob and his posse - Budabin, Guy in Cab, Dave Schwartz and Stewart, Martells; the SAE's - Mitch, Waldo, Patterson, Roger Rabbit, Mikey Marvul; and SO many others.

Seven years. Nearly a quarter of my life. A neat little pie chart. All gone when I lock my door tomorrow and get in the car. What can I say? It has been an amazing seven years, an amazing run. I will always remember my "20's" as the decade I lived in New York. And who knows, if I hate LA, I can come back just in time to start my "30's".
: )

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home