Thursday, October 02, 2008

Running for something, anything, everything

One of the nice things about not buying a condo is that I can go shopping at Target for my upcoming Peru trip and not feel guilty about spending the money. Because, really - $25 for an adorable black fleece jacket? Yes, please.

I can also freely donate to charity. Crystal turned me on to this organization and their 30-mile challenge, which is asking people to pledge to run, walk, or cycle 30 miles in the month of October to bring safe water to children in Tanzania. Thirty miles in a month (walking, if you want!) - that's less than one mile per day. And yet, ever since I've gotten into yoga, I've been seriously slacking on my running, so I'm glad to have something to motivate me back into it. I suppose I could do 30 miles in a month without donating, but the money will keep me honest, and really, these kids need it more than me. Consider it condo karma. It might as well make someone happy.

And since I like the idea of having a monthly goal, I'm going to pledge to do the 30 miles this month, walking-running combined; but next month, running only. It shouldn't be too hard - it wasn't that long ago I was averaging 15 miles per week. But it was long enough that my body doesn't look like I've spent half my evenings on the treadmill.

Any suggestions for what my goal could be for December? I don't bike, and I don't want it to be focused on weight loss, but I also don't want to just start increasing my running mileage or time - I'll get bored. I'm doing yoga as often as I can, but my favorite classes are on weekends. I think it will have to be a weight-lifting challenge - anyone have any ideas or want to join in?

I kicked this month's challenge off with a bang. I watched nearly the entire debate tonight on the treadmill, racking up at least six miles. To be honest, I lost count somewhere after five, so I'll only record that, but I was on the thing for a good 90 minutes. Say what you will about her politics, but that Palin lady is very entertaining.

If only she wasn't ringleading such a circus.

Labels:



4 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

We should start Kettlebell training together. That could be a fun challenge for both of us.

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hurrah! so, so awesome!
so far i have been walking and running too- but now you inspired me to try to switch to all running in november. i realized i work soooo much harder when i have a real goal. 30 miles is just easy enough thats its fun but not so hard that it's daunting. maybe for december i will also do 30 miles but try to increase my speed?
perhaps by the new year we could rn a race together?
fun times!
btw sooo jealous of your trip to peru!

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can hike forever, but only run a little over a mile before the body says "no more". So, a mile a day might be just about my pace!

Good luck with the challenge. I'm already impressed that the debate didn't put you to sleep on the treadmill!

 
At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll participate in a weight training challenge.I'm sure we can put together a challenging, progressive routine for a month.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home