Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In over my head

So. The condo.

You know how you have to get pre-approved? And, apparently, when you get pre-approved, it would make sense to also find out the terms of the loan options you are approved for? Well, I kind of overlooked that last part.

The day we put the offer in, my mortgage broker assured me I was pre-approved, but never explained how the breakdown would work. Since I've never done this before, it didn't occur to me to ask. I guess I just figured that would come up at some point, but it couldn't be that big of a deal since the bank said I could afford it. Ha. Now I understand why the entire country is so fucked.

With the mortgage, HOAs, insurance, and taxes, I'd be paying about $3000 per month. I currently pay $1440 in rent. "But you'll get roughly $400 back per month for tax write offs," she explained, as if to reassure me.

Now, I'm not very good at math, but I failed to see how an extra $400 per month would bridge a $1500 difference. I do save a few hundred dollars every month - but not nine hundred dollars.

"You can put more money down," she offered, referring to my 10%.

Yeah, I could - if I had more money. It's not like I have 20% lying around, and I just want to pay more interest. Truthfully, I could probably put 15% down, but I'd be draining my savings, and I don't know that I'm entirely comfortable with that.

So I thought about it for a bit, but, really, there wasn't much to think about. Nine hundred dollars per month is not cut-back-on-Starbucks and lay-off-the-shoe-shopping money. That's cancel my gym membership, cable TV, internet, phone, and hell, I'd have to quit my job and find one closer to home just to avoid my current gas expenditures. I know I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure quitting my job is not the solution to this problem.

So I reluctantly told my real estate agent that I was done, I couldn't swing it. Part of me felt duped by the mortgage broker, but mostly I just felt foolish that I never asked this in the first place. And in all the time that we had been going back and forth with the counter offers, I had already started thinking of this place as my home.

After I wrote the post on Friday, I spent a good deal of Sunday researching "how to buy a condo." I made a list of appropriate questions to ask, and finally understood the process enough to come up with some of my own. I read, and re-read, the purchase agreement several times, enough to answer many of the questions on my list. By Monday morning, when the broker finally wrote me back with the breakdown, I felt in control of the situation, and excited at being such a responsible, knowledgeable adult.

And then, it was all for naught.

Or maybe not.

When my real estate agent told the selling agent that I was backing out, the selling agent asked what the price would have to be to make it work for me. (!!!) And now that I've spoken to a few friends, they've encouraged me to contact another mortgage broker, or maybe even an accountant, someone who might better explain my options for financing. While I know I can't swing an extra $900 per month, it might be worth considering putting a little more money down to lower the costs. And if, by some miracle, this place is still available when I get back from Peru, I'll be able to get it for lower than my original bid. At that point, I could almost definitely put 15% down, and maybe the monthly payments would be less of an issue. I don't know. I just don't know.

What I do know is that I like this place. I'm heartbroken at the thought of losing it. I don't want to get it for the wrong reasons, but I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity just because I don't fully understand my options. Right now I just feel like such a girl. And I have no business buying anything if I can't start thinking like a woman.



11 Comments:

At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:( Sorry that it didn't work out... this time. But, now that you're more knowledgeable, it'll work out next time.

Mortgage brokers are a crazy lot. For instance, when we got pre-approved for our first house, it was for an amount that was more than twice what I thought we could afford. I was flabbergasted, wondering how she figured that we'd pay for utilities, buy food, etc... while paying a mortgage that size. Suffice to say, and frugal that we are, we bought a house that WE thought we could afford.

Fast forward two years later. We were selling that first house and interested in another. Different mortgage broker, different company completely, super nice guy. He actually said that if, by chance, our seller backed out and we were concerned about losing out on the new house that we wanted, that we could swing both mortgages. What? Yeah, he said that we'd have no problem paying both mortgages. No problem? And we'd eat what? The moving boxes after we unpacked? But we'd need to use those to burn for heat because we wouldn't be able to afford the oil! He didn't see it that way. I saw it as not only not buying new shoes, but having to sell my old shoes!

Really, they're nuts. You buy what YOU feel that you can afford. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I won't even start in on property taxes. I live in CT, the highest tax state in the nation. YAY! We're #1! (Sigh...)

Anyway, you're doing the right thing. This is the biggest purchase of your life. Take your time. If that condo is gone (I know it will be heartbreaking), there WILL be another. And you'll love it even more. So take your time, do your math, and only take the step when you're comfortable with the process and the numbers.

You're a smart girl. Many people would have thought, "the mortgage broker SAID I could afford $3000/month, so I must be able to. Let's go for it!"

Keep being so smart. You'll breathe easier.

 
At 5:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serves me right for posting comments so early in the morning.

"He actually said that if, by chance, our seller backed out..."

If our BUYER backed out. Sigh.. it's going to be a looong day.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow i am just sooo impressed that you are are even thinking about buying a condo! you are my hero! i really hope that some day i will be in a position where i too will be able to own my own home- hands down, all mine, with no help from anyone (ahem... a man). you are the perfect model of the modern, successful, independent woman! yay for you!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, guys, great comments!

Yes, Dawn, I was making similar comparisons. It's not a matter of cutting back on Saturday night dinners out - I'd have to cut out dinner altogether. I think I could probably only afford two meals a day!

On the other hand, that might resolve my problem of having to quit the gym...

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend, that is such a normal thing to go through for anyone buying their first home. Regardless of age or gender or marital status--it is a whole new world. You are smart and savvy and I have all the faith in the world that you will make a wise decision when you do buy. And if this condo is meant to be yours, it will be.

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mortgage brokers scare me. I think they are a big part of the reason we are in the mortgage (foreclosure) crisis we are in.

The good news in this:
1. You had the smarts to ask what your payment would be before you signed the purchase agreement
2. The $3000 would have included your HOA dues. Could have been worse. :)
3. You learned some valuable lessons.
4. Your on your way to buying a home of your own which is a huge deal and something to be very proud of!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Erika said...

yes, we were also told that we should not worry about selling our house and to just bid on a new house and if ours did not sell, we just pay double mortgages for awhile.

Hm, kids, I know you are really cold with no heat and really hungry, but wrap another blanket around your shoulders and eat that piece of stale bread. We'll be fine...

Good luck Lori!

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am in the market to buy a place. I'm sure there are many differences between the market in LA and the market in NYC, but rest assured both are BUYER'S markets right now. Don't be afraid to low ball the hell out of the seller. Offer way less than they're asking. They may not accept it, but they will consider it. Also, NEVER listen to a real estate or mortgage broker's advice unless you know them well, and trust them. They only care about lining their pockets by taking the money out of yours. Good luck.

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will ALWAYS be homes and condos for sale that will meet your needs. It sounds like you have fallen in love with the condo. You will fall in love with other condos. You could say, "It's not the condo, it's me." and walk away. Or, "I'm just not ready for that commitment." However you handle it, there will be more. If your broker and some friends (and now a cousin) suggest waiting, why not wait? You will only strengthen your position. Save more...spend less...
Much luck,
Adam

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry it didn't work out the way you had hoped, but it sounds like you learned a lot. I'm sure you'll find a condo when the time is right!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Green said...

Oh, you're not a girl! Or you know, whatever I mean.

I am so happy to read this post of yours. You have restored my faith in potential homeowners.

Consider these facts:
mortgage brokers earn a percentage of how much your house costs, mortgage brokers are in sales and sales is all about earning bonuses, mortgage brokers are desperate for sales especially now since they are probably being laid off by the dozens right now.

Mortgage brokers will tell you whatever they need in order to get you to sign. If three months after you close you go into foreclosure that mortgage broker doesn't have to give back their bonus, doesn't affect them at all.

Sit down with an accountant (or a dad, because they know this shit) and write out, backwards, your budget. You start (wait, maybe you sit down with me - I just realized I know this) with your paycheck, then just subtract each of your monthly expenses and whatever is left is how much you can afford to pay for housing. That's your number.

Then you ask the mortgage broker what the "total costs" are - including EVERYTHING.

Prices will keep dropping, and more and more houses will be coming on the market in the coming months. Go to Peru. See how much the house is selling for when you come back. Do NOT believe anything the mortgage brokers tell you. If you want a rec for an RE lawyer in LA, let me know and I will get you a name. Sorry this is so long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home