Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Getty and The Yeti

A yeti really has very little to do with my weekend; except that Friday night, that episode of Friends - literally called, "The One with the Yeti" - was on, and then, when I went to the Getty on Saturday, I couldn't get the word out of my head. And now, I am humming Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head. Try living in my brain for a day. It is exhausting.

Or maybe I'm just exhausted because I've been running around all weekend. With tomorrow off for President's Day, our bosses surprised us with an early dismissal on Friday, and I headed straight to the gym where I had the best run and workout I've had in weeks. Saturday, I woke up, got my taxes done - relatively early and responsibly this year - and then met my friend Heather for lunch down at the Promenade. I love having friends in from out of town because they motivate me to do touristy things I always claim to want to do but never quite get around to, and she was the perfect excuse for me to get myself to the Getty.

While the Santa Monica sun had warmed us enough to eat lunch outside on Third Street, late afternoon at the Getty - 1000 feet above sea level - suddenly seemed cold. We did a brisk walk around the gardens before heading inside to the art exhibits, which means I have to go back because the gardens were gorgeous. And will be even more so when it's not winter and they'll be in full bloom.

We headed down around sunset, and drove back to my place before meeting another friend for dinner in Venice. It was an early night but fun, and I fell asleep within minutes of my head hitting the pillow.

This morning we woke up early (well, 9:00) and went to the Farmer's Market, where we walked along Main Street , window shopped, and actually tried clothes on in no less than six stores. We both left empty-handed, save for the granola we bought for breakfast. At noon I dropped her at the hotel where she had some work to do, I went to the gym, and by 4 PM I was back, showered, and in my pajamas wondering if it was time to go to bed yet. It was a slightly major, but thoroughly satisfying, weekend.


Appropriately, President's Day weekend has a history of being slightly major for me. President's Day of 2004 marked the very first time I came to LA. The following President's Day came a month before my move, and I flew out here for two interviews and to drive for the first time in seven years. Last year, I went to Las Vegas, and even though the entire trip lasted less than 24 hours, it left a lingering impression.

Every year, it seems, is nothing short of an adventure. This year has been no different, and I still have another day left...

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think having people in from out of town is the best excuse to act like an "out-of-town'er" because it privies you to making mistakes in traffic, going out to eat excessively, extensive mockery of the subculture and the abandonment of locally developed customs and rituals!

 
At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You may find it exhausting, but judging from your blog, it is highly entertaining.

Never have been a big fan of the Getty; the building almost seems such a monument to itself it overpowers the are inside, and all that marble and lack of green leaves me cold.

Still, sounds like a highly relaxing weekend with good company, which, really, is how a weekend should be spent. :)

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

So glad you had a nice, relaxing weekend! I'd like to ask, though, what temperature you considered "cold" the day of the Getty walk. Because it's freaking 7 degrees here and I was all, "UM, I'll show you COLD!" Haha! ;o)~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home