Thursday, November 01, 2007

Random Thursday Goodness

-- You know how a few months ago I saw celebuspawn Scout Willis at my local Starbucks? This morning I happened to catch her sister Tallulah there. Is it weird that I absolutely LOVE that name? Is it weird that Tallulah is 13 and drinking coffee?

-- For the past two days, I have been obsessed with the dialogue generated by this blog, written by Wired magazine's Editor in Chief. The editor, it seems, has been besieged by spam emails by publicists trying to get their item run, and in response, he "outed" their email addresses, in part to embarrass them but also in the hope that spam bots will pick up the addresses and give these "flacks" a dose of their own medicine. This story has been covered to death on all the industry blogs, including my good friend's over at Candyland, and I kid you not - I think I have read every one of them. Twice.

I am so obsessed with this topic because this is exactly what I do. Not spam editors - that's exactly what I try NOT to do! - but pitch editors my story in the hopes that they will want to write about it. As I commented on his post, I can't imagine ever pitching an Editor in Chief. Anyone who has worked in PR for more than a year would know that an EIC has little to do with assigning, let alone writing, stories. They're more about the big picture and direction of the magazine, as well as acting as a "face" of the brand. Part of the problem, of course, is that it's often these junior publicists or even interns making the media lists and sending the pitch. When I worked at an agency, though, senior staff always reviewed the list, and if there was anyone glaringly wrong on there, it would get taken off. I've worked in beauty and fashion my entire career. I've never once sent Anna Wintour a press release.

I was surprised to find how many publicists came out and said, "Well, you make it so hard to find the information. The website only lists one email address." Um, pick up the phone and ask. Or, better yet, read the source you intend to pitch. This, my friends, is exactly why I get so stressed out sometimes. I complain that I'm overwhelmed, that I "have so much reading to do", and while that probably sounds important, often it's just a week's worth of Women's Wear Dailies I need to catch up on. I read practically everything I think is relevant to what I'm doing. Even if it means getting newsprint on my sheets and forgoing plans because Vogue happens to be four pounds that month.

Anyway, the subject has been covered ad nauseaum and I have little more to contribute, but I will continue to watch from afar because I think that this is a significant move that might have some impact on the industry. I do have one question though. In the comment section of the blog, a reader made a reference to the PR people being not "the sharpest knife in the draw." Um, in the draw? Or in the drawer? I always thought it was "in the drawer," but, well, I'm only a publicist.

-- Gawker posted this question on it's site today. Yes. I probably am.

Labels: , ,



2 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Blogger Keith said...

I remember when I was in PR, they actually had software programs that were huge databases of publications and contacts within them... and each person's beat was in there, along with how they liked to be contacted and the kinds of items they wanted to be contacted about.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Exactly! They still do! And the comments under this editor clearly state that he is not a PR contact.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home