Monday, October 08, 2007

Grouchfest 2007 - Now with Extra Cranky!

Maybe if I just purge all of my grumpiness into one post, I can finally get rid of this cloud hanging over my head. If you don't want to risk my negativity wearing off on you, I suggest you go read something else. Like my horoscope, and let me know when it's going to lift.

I was a grouch this weekend. No specific reason, really, other than PMS. I don't usually get PMS, at least not in a way that affects my mood (only my weight!), but this month it seemed to come at me with a vengeance, amplifying all of my irritations, as if to make up for all the months I coasted through comfortably content. I'm also a bit stressed about work. Not in a bad way, like something bad is going to happen, just in a I-have-two-events-this-week-in-a-store-that-isn't-done-yet way. The work itself is going fine; it's the three weeks of getting up early and staying late that have finally started to wear on me. None of this is stuff I haven't done before; in fact, this was what my life was like in New York. I guess that's why my mood suddenly seems to match it.

I've noticed something about myself since I moved to LA. While I have generally become much more laid back and relaxed about the big things (work, boys, life), I have become incredibly neurotic about the smaller stuff. Ridiculous things like making sure I go food shopping, or that my apartment is clean, or I that I read every single magazine and trade paper that comes to my attention, even though no one is making me but the obsessive-compulsive person inside my head. An unfinished to do list stresses me out, and when I get stressed, I shut down.

It's funny. A few years ago I might have dealt with stress by meeting up with friends or drinking wine by myself in the apartment. Now, though, when I start feeling like I have too much on my plate, I physically begin to crave quiet, want nothing more than to be alone, free of obligations, to control what little of my life I can. Even if that's only going food shopping. When work gets busy, as it has been, or I have too many social events in a row, I'll make a sweeping gesture of declining plans, swearing off friends for entire weekends. And while that always sounds like a good idea on Friday, by Sunday afternoon I am entirely bored of myself and wondering what fun I might have missed.

So that's kind of the dichotomy I found myself struggling with this past weekend. Initially I had planned on staying in all weekend, because, in my mind, I had a ton of stuff to do. (In reality, "a ton of stuff" was only like 5 things, but they needed to get done or I'd be very stressed out.) Part of me wanted time alone, but I was so unusually cranky, I couldn't stand the thoughts running through my own head. So I forced myself to go out on Friday night, but then was so exhausted on Saturday, I couldn't get all my stuff done. I felt my anxiety grow as the day passed and I had only Sunday to settle my chores.

Sunday I had plans for brunch, but was so consumed with satisfying my to do list, I was a short circuit the whole time. Quite honestly, I was a bitch. Seriously, I didn't recognize myself, was crawling in my own skin!

Did I mention that one of my chores was running? And that the reason it got pushed to Sunday was because my hip, despite feeling fine after my run a few weeks ago, is still hurting? So I haven't been exercising as much overall, at least not cardio, and I have to wonder if that isn't helping to contribute to my disdainful disposition.

I also have a confession to make. I am getting tired of this blog. I am tired of listening to myself wax nostalgic or witty or wistful, hearing sentences form in my head not as actual thoughts, but as leads for my next post. Will this make a good post? I wonder at least once a day. I am getting tired of the Internet in general, this whole social networking thing, this ability to be searched and found and followed and judged. Don't ask me why - after three years, I suddenly crave anonymity. Maybe I feel like I've gotten all I can from it; maybe I am just in a deeper ditch of writer's block, I don't know. I'll never stop writing. I just don't know where I'll do it.

Maybe because today was a holiday for some people, Grouchfest didn't stop when Sunday's sun went down. I woke up this morning feeling two things: 1.) Sick - Yay, sore throat! My body is rebelling! Glands are swollen as we speak.

2.) Sad. I was a lot of things this weekend - cranky, stressed, tired, overwhelmed - but sad was not one of them. I haven't been outright melancholy in a long time. But I woke up from a dream in which an ex-boyfriend was telling me that he had gotten engaged, but that his fiancee was simultaneously suing him for being unfaithful. He wasn't even unfaithful, really, he just took a year and a half to decide whether or not he really liked her, during which time he was always calling me, telling me he was ending it, and when could we get together? (That part really happened.) So in my dream I was asking him why he did a 180 from the summer when he claimed he broke up with her (also really happened) to ask her to marry him? He answered because she had stuck around long enough and he just figured she deserved it. And that's why he was allowing her to sue him, because he figured he made it hard enough for her before, might as well make it easy now.

I woke up with a pain in my gut, sick at the thought I might have lost him for good. Except that in real life, I haven't talked to him in months, and haven't had feelings for him in much longer. Yet I wanted to call him immediately to find out if he was engaged. But of course I don't want to know. I'll never call. I woke up feeling like I had lost something very precious to me. Even though it was never really mine to begin with.



5 Comments:

At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like Larry David...

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

Hey Lori. I'm sorry that you're feeling the way you are, and I hope that you begin feeling better soon.

And I totally understand about the blog thing. Every day I wonder if mine has lived its life. Perhaps yours has already served its purpose, whatever that may have been--new girlfriends, an outlet, etc.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Wow, some heavy thoughts going through that mind of yours! This reminded me of me when I get sick of me (did that make sense?). This is why I have back-up anxiety pills just in case I start feeling this itch that can't be scratch. The need for order and a desire to like myself wholly and completely, to feel like I have complete control and can handle everything. I demand a lot from a little pill, eh? ;o)

As for the blog thing, I am RIGHT there with you (which is why, aside from just being really busy, you haven't heard from me). I hate when I start thinking about my life in terms of if I should write about or share it. Totally feels like a dilution of living. Writing is supposed to be therapeutic, not stressful or nagging. If you feel that way, take a break! You know we will be here for you when you get back. And if you decide to say goodbye to this site for good, just leave a forwarding email or # for those of us who appreciate you for you, and not just for your ability to write witty and uncanny posts. :o)

Hope the grouch goes back to his trashcan soon. Hang in there, chica!! ((HUGS))

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long comment warning:

1) I totally understand your desire to clear your schedule when you're super busy. Whenever my work life gets out of control I always tighten the reigns on my social calendar, both in an effort to control something in my life, and to get that alone time and the personal solace that I need. I say go ahead, clear your calendar and if you find you're lonely or craving company start calling your friends until you find one is available spur of the moment...someone will always be up for seeing you :)

2) Re: the sick - take Emergen'c 2 times a day stat and rest please.

3) As for the boy dream...these kind of dreams are tough, especially when they feel so real emotionally. Even though you may have let go long ago, your subconscious hasn't -- and that's totally ok. He was a part of your life and he clearly had an impact on you...losing him is allowed to be hard (even if only in a dream).

4) I can understand your feelings about the blogging. I love your writing and would miss it for sure. I'd just have to harass you more in real life.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can blame me for almost all of your grouchiness, everything except PMS. Your neurosis is a direct reflection of my venting about how career focused I am and its rubbing off. I spend so much of my free time with my TV-guide, broadband, science publications and professional development, who has time for the drama of a personal life? I enjoy the peace and quiet, the soul of a hippy. An adventure is buying "Cold Water Tide" because its better for my clothes instead of the "Simple Pleasures" Tide because I like the ad where it's the laundry detergent that saves the marriage. Lastly, I quit blogging because I was tired of worrying, "Can I write this?" Paranoia won.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home