Sunday, October 21, 2007

Don't call it a comeback

I got back earlier today from what surely seemed like the world's shortest trip to Boston. I flew out on Friday morning, arrived Friday night, and turned back around at 5:30 AM this morning. Somehow, I was in Boston for less than 36 hours, and managed to be on an airplane for 12. And I wonder where my weekends go...

The occasion was my friend Maria's Non-Bachelorette Party. A modern girl, Maria wanted to forgo any of the usual activities that might surround a bachelorette party - no frilly veils or Life Saver t-shirts or male strippers for her. Rather, an intimate group of us gathered for manicures, pedicures, dinner and drinks - refined activities for the classy broads that we are. Well, mostly, until we surprised her with the penis cake. But other than that, it was a very tasteful - and tasty! - affair.

I managed to sleep for a few hours on the plane this morning, so rather than relax or attempt to get my chores done this afternoon, I threw caution to the wind and went out to watch the Red Sox win Game 7 of the Playoffs and qualify for the World Series. Go me! I'm not a sports fan, really, and wasn't even much in the mood to drink, but I do like boys in baseball caps, and our post-dinner drinks in Boston bar last night reminded me of a few things. One, Boston guys are hot. Two, Boston girls are generally not. Three, I have spent far too many weekends in a row inside, at work, or away from home to have any sense of a social life, and if I want to legitimately complain that I don't meet anyone, I should actually try leaving my house for once. So I did.

I didn't meet any boys there, but I did see this guy. And what's weirder than the fact that I saw him was that I came home tonight to find a new comment on that exact post - that I wrote six months ago. I was going to look it up anyway for the link; and yet I opened my email and it was staring out at me from my inbox, a not-so-subtle reminder that maybe I should introduce myself. The night out did me good, though, reminded me how nice it is to NOT think about work for once, or rely on the ABC Sunday night line-up in order to wind down. As much as I have been wrapped up in other things this fall, I am looking forward to placing an emphasis on my social life over the next few weeks.

It feels long overdue.



8 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you came out! It was fun! Cant wait to do it again next week!
Big Kiss~m

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Gridiron Goddess said...

lol on your "leave the house" realization. I had some one today, but opted to stay in anyway.

-MazingAmy

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i already liked your blog but this boston post sealed it! I may have beat you yesterday for title of shortest trip ever! I was there for 4 hours - after traveling 4 hrs each way on a bus from ny. it was great to be there, though.

i agree about sometimes having to shove yourself out the door to do something social... i'll be watching the game from a bar this wednesday, even though i'm sure i will want to be watching tv from my couch!

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

Sounds like a really fun trip

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger AmyBow said...

Totally off topic, but your Momma said Knock You Out headline made me think of camp. I think during our Super Senior color war Apache Relay one of the activities was to sing it.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I beg your pardon, Boston girls are hot, including the ones at MIT.

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please excuse my vulgar language, but time to pop this cherry already. That is pretty bizarre - I think it's a sign already. After the fourth time,
i think you'll agree it's time and if I'm there I'm forcing you:).

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

That's a great goal - just LEAVE your house and get out regularly for a reason other than to work. I have a hard time with that, myself. When I actually have time for me, I don't want to spend it with anyone else! So sad (or maybe selfish, but I don't care)... ;o)

I definitely think you should approach that guy if you see him again! I mean, what are the odds that you would find that someone commented on the very post he reminded you about?!... Work it, Lori!! Ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home