Wednesday, April 12, 2006

87 and still crazy after all these years

Happy Birthday, Papa!



(Did I mention that I bought a scanner along with my new computer? That means YEARS of long-forgotten pictures can now be brought to life on this site. It feels like MY birthday!)

My grandfather turns 87 today; but if you are a pretty girl, he might tell you he's turning 88.

If you ask him what time he's going to the dentist, he'll tell you 2:30. (Tooth-hurty).

Every time a cousin passed their 5th birthday, we had to spend the year explaining to Papa that we were not, in fact, sick, but six years old. (He's not hard of hearing. That's just what we, on my mom's side at least, call "the MacBlogger sense of humor.")

On my 6th birthday, Papa bought me a record album (a 45 if you want to get technical) that played my very own birthday song. It went like this (insert "Lori" for "Jason"):

In case you don't have the technology to enjoy this bit of nostalgia, well, I'm really sorry for you because it has completely made my evening, but just in case I've copied the abridged lyrics below as a tribute to the man of the day:

Space command to Zoom
All systems are go for your message to Papa


Hey Papa!
It's your birthday!
I'm in charge of the stars
And I'm here to say,
Hey Papa,
You're the BIG STAR, today!


My name is Zoom
And I live on the moon
But I came down to earth
Just to sing you this tune
Cause Papa, it's your birthday, today!


A present for you I wanted to find
An outerspace creature
A one of a kind!
A wild whop or a kukelchoo,
An apple drop or a buzzardstew
Or maybe a 3-eyed tickleshay
For your birthday

I searched behind the clouds and stars
I even zoomed my bike to Mars
And met my friend the saucer man
And he said: "Hey Zoom I got the bestest plan!
What your friend needs is something new,
So how about a song, just from YOU?"


And so tonight when you're in bed
I'll be singing to you as I zoom overhead
Singing, Papa, Happy Birthday!
Singing, Papa, Happy Birthday!
Singing, Papa, Happy Birthday!


To you!

Labels:



1 Comments:

At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey wow, that's really neat!
My brother and I got Zoom birthday records when we were about 3 and 5 years old back in around 1984 and listened to them regularly for years. We still have them in fact. (I always liked to play it in fast mode on the record player) I never encountered anyone else who had one, but we bought them in California and moved elsewhere afterwards. I'm amazed they're still making those for people -- we certainly got value out of our records!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home