Saturday, November 12, 2005

Happy Trails

Today I hiked Temescal Canyon. You can see what I saw if you click on my new photo album which is located to the right under my profile. The canyon is located just off the PCH in the Pacific Palisades, and is known mostly for it's breathtaking view of the ocean from 1000 feet.

It was a challenging climb - practically a vertical ascent that had my calves burning right off the bat. That's a good thing, of course. It didn't take me long (45 minutes) to reach the top, although I was out of breath and wondered how someone who isn't in my shape could do this. Pat on the back to me.

The views were stunning - you can see for yourself. My favorite picture is here:

because at first it looks like this amazing city view, and then you realize that line running through the center is actually our famous layer of smog.

The trail itself was interesting. I've gotten used to Runyon Canyon, which is pure desert. Its location mid-basin makes for a sunny climb with only patches of shade, and plenty of cacti and other desert-type vegetation populate the scenery. The climb up Temescal was like that, alongside a cliff in the afternoon sun, but the trail down into the canyon was more like something you might see in New England, or regular old England, for that matter. The Pacific gives the air a moist, clammy feel, despite the warm temperature - it kind of reminded me of having a fever, albeit in a good way. The way up could be painted in various shades of sand and beige, set against a sky blue backdrop; the way down, however, would be a stark contrast of bright greens and dark browns. Both might be painted with earth tones, but they'd look like entirely different planets.

The descent, in all of it's New England-ness, reminded me of being in camp, where we were always forced to hike at least once per summer. I hated it then. Do any kids like it? I was too young to appreciate the scenery, and resented the forced workout. Shortly after I moved to NYC - and was virtually ripped from nature's womb - I decided that I LOVED hiking and convinced my boyfriend at the time that we should go. Born and bred in Manhattan, he much preferred shopping in SoHo to sightseeing in Central Park, but he still planned us a trip to Lake George and included hiking on the itinerary.

It was so miserable. The trail was tiny, muddy, moist, and mosquito-infested. We lasted half an hour before I said, "I don't remember hiking being like this." We turned around, got in the car, picked up a six-pack, and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon from the front yard of the B&B. It was enough nature for one day.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home