Saturday, October 22, 2005

Quaking, shaking

I'm off to NYC tomorrow for my big event. The last few trips have been overshadowed by my despise for the city; today, after two earthquakes, I'm actually looking forward to a change of scenery. The earthquakes, which were 7 hours apart, were small - only a 3.0 and 3.1 respectively. But they were both centered in and around Santa Monica - much closer to me than any of the other earthquakes I have felt since living here, and therefore much louder and scarier. I happened to be home for both. While I have felt the others from the ground up (the sense of the floor vibrating), I noticed these by the noise they made, and felt the action from almost above me, like someone was holding the roof and trying to rip it off my building. It was LOUD enough that the first time I actually went to my window to see if the street was still straight and make sure my car was ok. It was, they both were. And nothing fell off the walls or was visibly rattled. Other than my nerves.

I get picked up at 5:30 AM for my 7 AM flight, and should arrive at 3:30 EST. I'm planning a get together with a few friends tomorrow night, but after that its three days of work and stress. Hopefully the event will go well and it will all have been worth it. Wish me luck!

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home