Friday, October 21, 2005

Field Trip!

Every summer the owners of my company put together an activity day where all the employees take off work and do something fun together. Sort of like a Senior Skip Day, but on the up-and-up. Last year it was kickboxing, another year it was bowling, etc. We had ours today (better late than never), which was a tour of the King Tut exhibit at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.

Egyptian art isn't my favorite (I mean, it's just a bunch of cracked pottery, right?) but this exhibit has been hyped to the extreme for months. The exhibit includes artifacts from King Tut's tomb and other graves that were dug over 3000 years ago - which is pretty cool, I'll admit. We were given headphones which offered a voice narrative from Omar Sharif and were cattle-prodded through the maze-like halls along with about 60 senior citizens, five kids between the ages of 4-11, and one infant that cried the entire time. Can you tell where this is going?

The exhibit was underwhelming, to say the least. I might have enjoyed it more had I not been so busy saying "excuse me, excuse me", but the display itself was very straightforward (this was a vase, this was a spoon, etc.) and didn't really inspire me to have any deep, provoking thoughts (what a shocker). I am glad I had the chance to go, however, and even more glad I work for a company that does stuff like this on a regular basis. Even if I felt like we should have arrived on a yellow school bus, all in matching t-shirts.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home