Sunday, July 10, 2005

My Boyfriend Gym, the Crunch Affair

Because July and August are typically the slowest months in terms of gym membership, most gyms offer the best deals of the year during this time. After my Equinox experience, I went online and found that Bally's was offering a free two week membership and Crunch a free one week membership during the month of July. Perfect opportunity for me to try them out, and not to rush the experience with just a day pass.

So, today I went to Crunch, which is located in Sunset Plaza in West Hollywood. Not exactly close, but in the scheme of things, not too bad either. It took me about 25-30 minutes, which I think I could handle most weekends. After all, my LA Fitness which is only a mile down the road sometimes takes me 20 to get to in traffic. Oh, it was like coming home again. I've never been so happy. Bright red, purple, and yellow walls. Great music. Normal-great gym equipment. Fun people. The locker rooms were gorgeous -- and more like Equinox than even the Crunch in NYC. The only thing that could be a downer (besides the commute) is that I can see that the clientele is largely gay men, which makes sense given the WeHo location. But it was pretty empty, which is to be expected for a Sunday afternoon, and I plan to go back this week after work and see how it is. I'm also looking forward to seeing what the commute will be like coming straight from work; in fact, I'll be taking an entirely different route.

I don't know if I will bother checking out Bally's or not. I've never been in one, and don't have the highest hopes for it. Tracy goes to the one in Studio City (and worked out next to Justin Timberlake last week), and Seth goes to the one on Bundy which would probably be the one I would go to as well. They both say the same thing -- that it is fine, but nothing special. So that doesn't exactly motivate me to go there.

In other exercise news, I played tennis yesterday. Playing was great; I was not. Nevertheless, I loved it, and it made me want to commit to playing a lot more often. We did a 2-hour group clinic, where about 12 of us received instruction and also got to play a few sets. It was great to get instruction, since I have not played for so long, but embarrassing to be on the low end of the skill spectrum. I think I would rather do a private lesson or few, and then just hit with Tracy the other times, but I would do the clinic again, I guess. I didn't think I got a great workout, but I woke up this morning and found that some odd muscles were sore - like my hips, my back, and my hand and wrist from gripping the racket. Also, playing in the sun from 11-1 kind of tired me out, and I slept until about 10:30 this AM. It's nice knowing that the weather here is consistent enough that I can basically play whenever I want to. No rain cancellations, or winds blowing the ball, and no rushing to get in all the tennis I can for the summer before it gets cold again for the winter. I do like this town.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home