Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Chinatown

I went to Chinatown today. That was quite an adventure.

I'm preparing the next editor mailing, and one of our new products is this .45 ounce rollerball fragrance. On its own, it's nothing special, but I thought if we could position it as "purse perfect" - as in, great for on-the-go, we might have a chance at getting in some holiday makeup bag or stocking stuffer stories. The best way to do that of course would be to send to the editors in a cute little purse. I've reached out to some designers I know, but also thought it would be a good idea to scavenge some cheap places as well. Hence, Chinatown.

Three of us from the office went. We took LA's public transportation system there, which was an adventure in and of itself. Very clean trains, above ground (better to avoid death by earthquake), with no one on them. We had to wait about 15 minutes for each to come, but maybe if we had looked at a schedule we would have planned better. I have come to realize that the system is closer to Commuter Rail rather than Subway.

In any case, we arrived in one piece about 20 minutes later, and walked half a block into a mini Canal street. One main strip contained row after row after row of crap after crap after crap. We saved the shopping until after lunch, though. I don't know that I've been inside a Chinese restaurant in nearly 20 years. About the time I was a young teenager, I decided that I would no longer eat Chinese food because it was fattening. If people suggested it, I claimed not to like it, and over time, that came to be true. Once in a while on 44th street I would order the steamed chicken and veggies over brown rice, but that was all I ever had any interest in. That and the fortune cookies.

Well, I learned that when you decide you don't like something for long enough, it finds a way to make itself true. A self-fulfilling prophecy, I suppose. It was gross. We went to a really nice restaurant - it's famous, in fact - but my body just does not appreciate the sauces, the grease, the iddy-biddy meat slivers, the mess. Of course I ate, because I was starving, but I pray that it be my last Chinese meal for another two decades. I'll still eart the fortune cookies though.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home