Friday, July 29, 2005

Ironman or just plain crazy, man

I came into work this morning to find an email from my friend Doug, who had, over the weekend, completed the Ironman Triathalon. I have heard of triathalons, and in the back of my mind, I guess understood what they entailed, but I never before allowed myself to believe that people actually swim for a couple miles, bike for over 100 miles, and then go on to run a marathon. At least not people I know. I'm so floored that this kind of self abuse actually takes place that I've read and re-read his email thirty times over the course of the day. Some highlights:

"I’m back from Lake Placid and successfully finished my first Ironman in a respectable 13 hours and 37 minutes. There were three goals: 1. Get out of the water alive and under the cutoff 2. Finish the race, and 3: Finish under 14 hours….done, done, and done! Total miles covered = 140.6

We woke up to 46 degrees at 4:30am.

Total swim was 1:35. Total Miles = 2.4

I think my total bike was about 6hrs and 35minutes. Bike miles – 112, Total Miles = 114.4

Then it was on to the run. When in the changing tent we have medical staff asking us how we feel. I told my guy that I felt my stomach being empty. I hadn’t gone to the bathroom in over 6.5 hours and that was my problem. I consumed at least 6 or 7 bottles of Gatorade and 4 bottles of water on the bike, plus energy gels, and endurolytes (which are electrolyte supplements). He instructed me to go to the bathroom right away and start pumping more fluids on the run – man, I still had to run 26.2 miles.

I left the tent and set out for the marathon. It was tough to start and took 2 or 3 miles to get going. From there it was a run-walk-run marathon. I was fortunate to make friends with another athlete and we buddied up for the last 20 miles and helped each other through it. We talked a lot and walked the aid stations making sure we pumped ourselves with fluids. We even waited for each other at the portapotties. Somehow I managed to even get a beer in at mile 25 as we passed a pub. [Ed. note: Of course he did. We went to Syracuse.] They loved it. Although my stomach didn’t. I had to get a water right away.

The last 400 meters I was floating. I was running a 6-minute mile pace and came into the Olympic oval and sprinted to the finish with fists pumping. The journey was done. Family was waiting and 8 months of training and 13 hours and 37 minutes of racing were now done. Run Miles – 26.2, Total Miles = 140.6

The next day I felt great. I had a pretty mean sunburn on my thigh and that was the only residual pain other than some minor tightness in my shoulders and a little in the quads."


Sunburn. There's nothing else to say. Except that I feel like skipping the gym now and diving into a brownie sundae, because really, what's the point.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home