Thursday, May 05, 2005

Memories of Cinco de Mayo

05.05.97 - Gorgeous warm, sunny day in Syracuse, must have been a Thursday or Friday. I remember me, Maria, Melson, and Magada, among others, drinking Coronas on the front lawn of our sorority house. In broad daylight. When it started getting chilly, we changed and went to Lucy's. The tradition was born.

05.05.99 - Gorgeous, warm, 80 degree Friday in NYC. It was my first year working at Behrman, and after lunch, no one could concentrate on work. So I suggested to Andrea, kind of jokingly, that we do a Cinco de Mayo party in the office. She thought it was a great idea, and apparently so did Nancy, because the next thing I knew, Jill Lavorgna and I were sent out to shop for Coronas and ice and all that. I think we must have had a problem finding cases or six-packs of Corona, because we came back with 40's - who knew they made 40's of Corona? The party started early - maybe around 4, because I remember thinking it was much earlier than we would normally celebrate someone's birthday. In any case, when it was time to leave, I got to take some of the 40's with me. I arrived home, and Ryan was just hanging out, so we split the 40's. A half hour later, Greaux was over, Martoken was rummaging through Ryan's closet for a shirt that didn't stink, and Tom was telling stories from Jury duty. Tom had gotten off jury duty at 5, and had spent the interim at a bar, so he was a little further along than we were. A night of craziness ensued on a small strip of second avenue. The standard I have held every CdeM up to since.

05.05.01 - The end of the world as I knew it. Dakota - my favorite UES bar by FAR - was closing. On Cinco de Mayo. It must have been on a Saturday because we had a bunch of people over at the apartment beforehand, and we all went. I don't remember much, but it was the night that I met BigHairyBeast and a summer dodging phone calls ensued. Shout out, Schlomo! Happy 25th!

05.05.02 - Another gorgeous, sunny day in NYC. Except this time it fell on a Sunday, so we (me, Maria, Kris) were all in Central Park. I convinced them to hit McFadden's for a few drinks, but it just felt wrong. An Irish Bar on CdeM? On a Sunday? I think it led to the downfall of my holiday experience. Since then, I don't think I have done anything memorable to celebrate.

05.05.05 - I am just writing that for the sake of writing it. It is a cold (high 60's) cloudy day. They have been predicting rain, although I haven't seen any yet. I know a bunch of people going out tonight, but none whose plans I really want to make my own. Maybe I will change my mind - especially given my proneness to nostalgia, but the gym is seeming quite dandy as of right now.

Adios!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home