Monday, April 25, 2005

Back to Reality

For the first time in my adult life, I am not working for a crazy person. Seriously, I think every boss I had in NYC was certifiable - which, in NYC, was a good thing, since that's how you made it to the top. The couple that run my office and the company are so white bread normal, I wonder if maybe they think I'M crazy. They are calm, and smart, and concerned about what I might think. They are friendly and smile. And mean it. Was this a first-day facade? I hope not. They actually took me out to lunch.

In terms of atmosphere, I upgraded about 1000%. I have a brand new laptop computer, in my own office with furniture I got to choose. Oh, and we each get to choose what color we want our walls painted (well, one wall - the others stay white although we each also have a wall of exposed brick, which I love). I am choosing some blend of peach or orange. We also each get to choose what color logo we want on our business cards. (I chose pink). I have more file cabinets than I've ever had, so I can actually file things. And colored folders!. I LOVE colored folders!

My first task for the next two weeks is to develop a comprehensive PR and marketing strategy that encompass each leg of the brand: retail, hotel, direct, and god knows what else. Oh, and I am also going to Phoenix on Friday for a party they are throwing at their Scottsdale store. I am really excited about that, not only for sake of going to Phoenix, but to meet my favorite editor EVER who works at the Tribune and who I have spoken to on the phone for five years and has saved my ass a million times BUT HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY MET. Love you, Smiddlesteadt.

It'll be a quick trip. Leave Friday afternoon, come back first thing on Saturday. We fly out of Burbank airport, which will be a nice change from LAX. Especially on a Friday afternoon. I did the 405 this past Friday afternoon on the way down to Huntington Beach, and was ready to throw myself in the traffic. Not that it would have done anything, since the traffic wasn't moving. But you get the point.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home