Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Exhilaration and Frustration

Exhilaration was the run I did yesterday along the beach. Frustration was after I spent about half an hour capturing the beauty and thrill of the run on this blog when my computer for no reason whatsoever crashed before I could publish it. I didn't have the heart or energy to try and retype it last night, so here it goes from memory...

Exhilaration was the run I just came back from. Grammatically speaking, the run I just came back from was exhilarating, however, that is what is considered "poetic license".

Sunday I had driven down to the Santa Monica Pier and beach. I had passed it many times, but now had the time to explore and see what it was all about. Basically, the pier is like any other famous American pier (Navy Pier in Chicago comes to mind) but is set against the most gorgeous beach/sand/mountain/sky backdrop. Both pedestrian and bike paths line the ocean, so it is the perfect place to either run or rollerblade.

So yesterday afternoon, I went back, paid a dollar to park my car for an hour, and let me tell you, it was the best dollar I have spent since I've been here. I headed south, down to Venice, and ran along the boardwalk there, which was interesting, to say the least. "Bohemian" is a nice/PC term for it. I ran about 15 or 20 minutes, then turned back to run north, and all of a sudden, I was running against the wind (Bob Segar/Forrest Gump shout out).

It was breathtaking in more ways than one. Mountains ahead of me. Mountains behind me. The ocean to my left. Palm trees and blue sky to my right. I ran back to my car, and the whole run was probably only about 3 and half miles, but it was more challenging than most of the runs I have done around my neighborhood. And I just kept thinking, I can't believe this is my life.

It doesn't feel like my life. It feels like Jack Tripper's life. Seriously, the beach has the same wooden fence they show in the opening credits, and I kept expecting someone to fall off a bike while they turned around to look at me. But haven't I always been destined to recreate the world of Three's Company? From the time I was seven and played it at the lake with Devin Quin and Rebecca, to when Kris, Ryan and I all lived in the city and invited everyone to come dance on our floor, this IS my life. Just call me Janet.

So it was really quite fabulous and surreal all at the same time. I will have to go back again and run north next time. I will also have to bring my rollerblades at some point, so I can go a bit further. There is an open-air/glass-walled gym in Venice called Muscle Beach that I would like to check out, just for fun. Make sure I am not missing the meatheads from the Jersey shore.

When I was down there on Sunday, I picked up a Fodor's book, and I learned that there is a running path around a reservoir near the Hollywood sign. I also want to try that this week. So much to do, so much time...

I have an interview on Thursday for a marketing manager position at Chinese Laundry. I don't remember applying for it, but it could be cool. I had a pair of their shoes a few years ago that I absolutely LOVED, even though they tore up my feet every single time that I wore them. But I always got a million compliments on them. I think their stuff is mostly juniors, but that's fine with me!

I am going to see U2 tonight at the Staples Center; Seth had somehow managed to get tickets. So that's exciting. I can't even remember the last concert I've been to. They are supposed to be amazing in concert, so it should be fun. My coffee table and ottoman come tomorrow... slowly but surely I am building a life here.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home