Monday, March 21, 2005

I'm here!

And I love it.
We got in late on Friday night. By the time we picked up the rental care and got to the apartment, it was 10:30, but 1:30 AM New York time. Didn't matter. Ted had left me a bottle of Champagne in the fridge, so Kris and I had that and watched the Brady Bunch in the empty apartment. I have more space than I know what to do with.

Ted left me his bed (well, I paid him $150 for it). It so uncomfortable, I may have to go out and buy a new mattress anyway - it is just awful. We woke up at 7:30 the next AM, found that Starbucks was half a block away, and got coffee. The first stop I wanted to make was Target in West Hollywood, since I had nearly $200 in gift certificates there. So we are stocking up on supplies, and I see a guy in a Syracuse t-shirt. I ignore it, but see him again and realize it is Phil Metz, who was in our dorm freshman year and is still friendly with a bunch of my guy friends - in New York and LA. I can not go ANYWHERE without a run-in, and I love it. We exchanged numbers.

Kris and I then hit Crate and Barrel, where I had another gift certificate, and the whole Rodeo Drive/Bev Hills area where it is located. It was drizzling, but warm and fine to walk from store to store. That afternoon, we went to the Westside Pavillion, where Macy's was having a huge home sale and I bought a couch, chair, and ottoman for a great price. That should be delivered on Saturday.

We had plans to see Ryan on Sat night. He came over to see my place, and then he drove us to a couple bars in Santa Monica. It was fun catching up. I guess Gabe just moved here, the most recent New York transplant after Jordan and Sahara and Clayton. The three of us just went to a few places and had a blast re-creating our Three's Company days.

Sunday we got up and went to the Toyota dealership in Santa Monica. I didn't like anything, and the saleswoman was awful - she had an attitude about everything and didn't really try and sell me anything. So, we remembered that Ryan had an Acura, and we liked it, and so we headed to the Acura dealership a few blocks down. I liked a bunch but loved one, and today I am the proud owner of a 2002 silver two-door coupe. It is so cute. I could have walked out with it yesterday, but it was Sunday, and couldn't take care of insurance until this AM.

So, since it was a GORGEOUS day, low 70's and sunny, Kris and I drove down the coast to Venice. I was trying to find Baha Cantina for lunch, but there was too much traffic, so we turned around and ended up going to the 3rd street promenade for lunch. We ate outside.

I wanted to take her to Malibu for dinner, since if I had to identify one single experience that convinced me I needed to move here, that would be it. Ryan was going to join us again. I suggested Duke's, because I had been there before and figured it would be relatively easy to find. I walked in, and remembered that the reason I had been there before was because Ted's brother worked there; as I am relaying this to Kristin, he walks right by. Sure enough, it was him, and so I exchanged numbers with him and his friend - who also worked behind the bar and whose couch he stays on. So, two days, two more friends. We had a window table, and even though it was dark by then, we got to eat with the waves crashing up against the rocks by our window. Unbelievable.

This morning we woke up around 8:30, got coffee. Called the insurance guy around 9:30, picked up my car around 11, and dropped off the rental, which Kris and I came to not-so-affectionately call Delores. I took her back to the airport at 2, and now I just have the rest of my life in front of me to work out.

I called to set up my cell phone. They were able to let me keep the same number and rate plan, but work it so I will not have roaming charges; LA will be my new home base. I set up an interview with H&S for next Monday. I have a phone interview with a company tomorrow, and then a second interview with SNL on Thursday. I also have to finish the assignment for Arbonne, and get the next one so I can have a few checks to pad my bank account. Speaking of, I have to figure out what I can do about a bank here. Tomorrow, maybe.

I still have so much to get for the apartment, but it is a little overwhelming. Every morning I have woken up to sun streaming in my window. We are supposed to get rain again soon, but I am going to try and get a run in around my neighborhood tonight before the weather changes. It has been chilly at night, but shirt-and-light-jacket chilly. In the sun it feels like the mid-70's.

I have met two of my neighbors, and both are very friendly. This whole experience is somewhat surreal, and I can't believe that this is actually my life and I don't have to get on a plane tomorrow and leave it behind. I OWN A CAR. I LIVE IN LA. I don't know what is stranger.

Aside from the space, costs of living are slightly cheaper. I have noticed that my coffee in the morning is $1.50 versus the $1.79 in NYC; even now at Kinko's, I am charged $0.25 per minute versus the $0.30 in New York. I should have internet in my apartment by the end of next week, which I am greatly looking forward to. I have come to rely on it for job searches, furniture needs, and everything "move-related"; having to pay out-of-pocket for it is annoying, especially when I am unemployed. On that note...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home