Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Like a child in grown-up's clothing

I had a doctor's appointment this morning, and since it was at 9 AM on my side of town, I was looking forward to sleeping in a little bit. Because it was a slight change in my routine, though, it only made sense that I would have anxiety dreams about missing it, which in turn made me almost actually miss it. I woke up from the last dream at ten past eight, and realized that I'd inadvertently set the alarm for 7:30 PM. Oops.

Interwoven with that dream, I also dreamed that I was hours away from getting married when I realized that I didn't want to get married to my soon-to-be husband. It was nothing personal - I didn't even know who he was. He was just some unnamed, blank-faced figment of my imagination. In my dreams, I had to wait for his family to come in from afar, then rush to my doctor's appointment, then find him before the start of the ceremony so I could end things like a responsible human being who'd just spent $30,000 on a party.

My subconscious has apparently been working overtime in adulthood lately, as the night before I'd dreamed that I was changing a poopy diaper. There was a baby attached to the diaper but it wasn't mine and I didn't seem concerned with whose it was or why I was charged with changing it. No, I have just never actually changed a diaper before - ever - and in my dream I was primarily concerned with whether or not I was doing it right. I remember being proud of myself that I'd managed to do so, until I woke up and really thought about the process, at which point I remembered that I'd never actually removed the baby's clothes and instead just dabbed at the mess on the outside of the pajamas. Also, oops.

If I had babies on the brain, it was for a few reasons. For one, that day, I had been shopping for gifts for my friends' kids - including two newborns - who I am going to see next week. Then, I came home and read that Dooce had had her baby, so I spent the late afternoon checking for updates on the name and details. Then, finally, in the evening, after exhausting my television rerun options, I ended up engrossed in two hours of this show on the Discovery Health Network: I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant. What?

Have you watched that show? Are you aware that it is not only possible to go through nine months of pregnancy without knowing it, but that it is seemingly a common occurance in certain parts of the south and midwest? I watched, transfixed, the stories of young mothers having babies in toilets, on the living room floor, and in one case, a dirty bathroom in a Wisconsin camping ground. Throughout the episodes, both the narrator and the mother explain very clearly and convincingly how this phenomenon is possible. The women have irregular periods; they are unusually skinny or extremely overweight; they never develop any symptoms other than an odd craving for pickles or unusually swollen feet. The next thing you know, they go to bed and wake up to the baby crowning.

No wonder I've been having nightmares.

The baby dream, by the way, had nothing to do with my doctor's appointment this morning. Let me be perfectly clear.

Speaking of kids, I volunteered for my local alumni organization this past weekend, helping them out with an event that welcomes new graduates to the LA area. I was there to talk about my career in PR, and answer any questions from students looking to get into the same field. The event as a whole, though, focused on what it's like to move to Los Angeles, and I'd say at least half the questions from this post came up. "How to move to LA" is still the single most popular search term that brings readers to this blog, responsible for a good 5% of traffic, and about 50% of new visitors. So, I'm thinking that there is a legitimate market for this, and who's a better person than me to sit down and write the book? Right? Right! So, do you know anyone who wants to give me a book deal? Right...

The night before the alumni event, I spent with another friend who is moving here from the east coast. She's moving to San Diego, but we're in similar fields, so many of the same rules apply. As I was throwing out suggestions for networking, I realized, I may have found my niche.

When I'm not helping people move to the west coast, though, I am making my own plans for an upcoming trip back east. I'll post later this week with details, but in the meantime, can you suggest any good airplane/summer vacation reading? I don't mean to hijack (ooh, bad choice of words, there) Hilary's What Have You Read posts, but I am in need of some engrossing, yet lightweight, reading material.

Preferably not having to do with babies, diapers, or doctors. Thanks.

Labels: ,



10 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you read the Time Traveler's Wife yet? Best book I've read in years. And I did so in about two days.
Anything by David Sedaris. Ditto for Jennifer Weiner.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Hey Meeks,
You know, I am the only person in the world who couldn't even get through The Time Traveler's Wife. I just wasn't into it. I've read all of David Sedaris except for his newest one, which I heard wasn't that great, but it's always in the back of my mind as a possibility. I'll check out Jennifer Weiner - thanks.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger JT said...

This summer I've liked The Help (by Katherine Sackett, I think) and The Piano Teacher by Janice Lee (again, I may have that wrong). I loved Serena by Ron Rash but it's a little intense. The Given Day by Dennis Lehane was great historical fiction but if you haven't read Mystic River, I highly recommend that. He's a great great writer.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Jaime, I LOVE Dennis Lehane. I didn't read Mystic River, but I used to read his other books that focused on a pair of detectives. I liked them because everything took place in Boston, where I grew up. Historical fiction is also my favorite genre, so maybe I will check that out - thanks.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Weird dreams, for sure! It's clearly your subconscience trying to butt in. Happens to me when I'm having a tough time visualizing my future or determining what I even WANT out of that future. Have you been thinking about any of that? Just last week, I dreamed that I was breastfeeding a child. And I'm really not certain that child was mine. So yeah...I'd take your changing a diaper scene over mine. ha!

As for books, I loved 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen. I actually read it twice, which I don't usually do unless I really, really like a book. As a matter of fact, I suggested it for my Book Club and let one of the girls borrow my copy, and she later told me she went out and bought her own copy! Whatever you read, I hope you enjoy your trip out East and have safe travels!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger JT said...

The Given Day is all about Boston so you must check it out! I have read all the other Lehanes and thought that I wasn't missing anything by skipping Mystic River because I had seen the movie---but it's still incredible and worth reading.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

I just downloaded Water for Elephants onto my kindle (yay!) so we can have our own little book club.

Come over and take stuff from my bookshelf. I have a ton of good summer reading and a lot of Jennifer Weiner.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Tiny E said...

First of all, you should so write a book. Or two. I love your style and you already know people want to hear what you have to say. Get to it.

Second, read The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. Just ignore the fact that it's in the young adult section. I have no idea why. The topic is heavy but it's light reading - if that makes sense. It's absolutely beautiful and perfectly done. I can't say enough about it.

Third, a completely and horribly happy belated birthday! I hope it was as wonderful as the pictures.

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Noj said...

It seems to me you are self-aware and in-touch with your subconcious feelings. Your move was a life changing event and it's something you should share with anyone one who wants to hear you. Because your network has become so established you could be a guru and publishing is always an option. As for a book for the flight, maybe something about yoga?

 
At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. Reader's prerogative fo sho. I usually hate what everyone else loves :) I totally want to read Water for Elephants - it's on my summer list. Pass along anything good you read!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home