Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Grammar Police Patrol: Badvertising

A few days ago, I noticed that someone in Showtime's online advertising department would do well to hire a proofreader:


Unless, of course, this is the Week of Right, but I'm pretty sure they meant start the week off right.

Then, yesterday, I was driving home - or, rather, sitting in horrific traffic on the 110 South near Dodger Stadium - when I passed this curious billboard:


"TRIPLE HOPS BREWED FOR GREAT TASTE." Ok. Yum.

"GREAT TASTE OF YOUR DODGERS" Huh? Great taste of my Dodger's what?

Is Miller Lite saying that it tastes like the Dodgers? I hadn't realized there was a market for that. What, exactly, do the Dodgers taste like? When I think of fluids associated with baseball, I recall A.) sweat, B.) spit from chewing tobacco, C.) steroids, and D.) every female that's partied with A-Rod or Derek Jeter. None of those are attributes I look for in a beer.

Then I thought maybe they left off a word. "Great Taste of the Dodger Game" might make more sense. "Great Taste of Summer" would be even better. How about just "Official Sponsor of Dodger Stadium"? I don't know if they actually are, but it might be a better use of Miller's marketing budget than this confusing ad.

I've finally narrowed it down to two options: either they meant to say that the Dodgers have great taste, and therefore drink Miller Lite, or simply that the Dodgers enjoy Miller Lite's great taste. In which case, why couldn't they just say, "Enjoyed by the Dodgers"? Simple. Clear. A Unique Selling Point.

What say you? Are you looking for a job in advertising? Because I can think of two departments that clearly could use the help.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Noj said...

Really! I've made a grammer spelling mistakes but not of this magnitude. I have to wonder about the direction of their target audience. Has it become stylish to speak in incomplete sentences and incorrect grammar? Whomever decided that kings english was too tedious needs to reread their Shakespeare!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous marc said...

Maybe they hired the same ad company as the one that's responsible for the signs on this site:

http://www.engrish.com/

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever HAD Miller Lite? I'd say it tastes exactly like how I would expect A, B, C, and D would be combined!

(And, personally, I'm trying to avoid thinking about the fact that those advertisers are probably paid loads more than I am...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home