Monday, April 03, 2006

Next stop: Boca

Please join me in honoring the long, hardworking, and fruitful life of my 8 year old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600, who yesterday entered permanent retirement.

Toshiba, or Tushy, affectionately, had long served as my one-stop-shop "home office", providing me with an internet connection and the option of doing work any time, anywhere I pleased. Over the years we have together searched for jobs, shared music, swapped passwords, tried online dating, started a blog, fought viruses, and, oh, moved across the country.

Originating in the archaic laptop era of 1998, Tushy got her start in Massachusetts, working not-so-hard for the money for my mother, whose primary computer need was an internet connection. After two years of SPAM and not-so-funny forwards, my mom had had enough of email, and passed the computer down to me, who found herself in the office every night until 10 PM (or until I got drunk on the Bombay Sapphire kept in the agency freezer. Whichever came first.)

So Tushy was packed up and moved to New York, where she thrived under my frequent use and tender care. I took her into work and had her connected to all of our professional programs. I downloaded games, upgraded software, and typed the hell out of her petal-soft keys. And then I got greedy.

IPod called in the summer of '04, but neglected to mention it wasn't compatible with my Windows 98. On one long, hot, summer day, I downloaded both iTunes and Windows XP, successfuly bringing myself into the 21st century; but Tushy - getting old and set in her ways - did not like this new software essentially coming in to redecorate. She started acting very slow, taking at least 10 minutes to warm up before she would let me work. That was annoying, but dealable. Until I packed her up to move again.

Always the trooper, Tushy made it to LA with nary a scratch on her, or so I thought. She even let me hook up to Verizon problem-free, and accepted my digital camera software without a hitch. But somewhere in the move she lost her voice - the computer literally hasn't broadcast sound in a year. That's a comfortable silence when I'm surfing the web; but not so good for downloading music. Her warm-up grace period went from 10 minutes to 15, and she began acting flaky and forgetful without warning. I figured she's either adjusting to LA extremely well, or preparing to join the
flying toasters and dancing babies of yesteryear to a better, less congested information superhighway in the sky.

Though my Toshiba can never be replaced, I have accepted a new Gateway into the family to serve as my primary "home office". Clearly a male with his bold black keyboard and imposing 17 inch wide screen promising tech nirvana - More DVD, More Web, More Everything - we're still getting acquainted. In the meantime, Tushy is comfortably resting on a new shelf, free from all the wires and cables that have virtually and literally chained her to my whims for the past six years, wondering what to do with her newfound freedom. Gathering dust just isn't her style.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home