Sunday, March 19, 2006

You could say Seattle's not on my short list

I woke up at 7:30 AM today. Not quite sure how that happened since I went to bed at 2 AM last night, and, in fact, have been partying non-stop since Thursday. I stayed in bed for a while, trying to go back to sleep; but my brain, pushing past the familiar throb of a possible hangover, was just too excited to stay inactive. Excited for what, I don't know. My daily plans include nothing out of the ordinary, but that's the thing, I guess, about LA - the days just always seem to have so much promise.

People talk about our weather (what weather?) as being one of the best reasons to live here. I won't argue with 70 degree days, everyday, but I've found that it's not just the temperature that sets the mood, but the sun. When the sun is out, as it usually is, streaming through my window at 7 AM, I'm filled with an optimism I haven't felt since college or my early 20's. A whole day lies ahead, and in it I can do anything - have an exhilarating run, get in a canyon hike before lunch, find the perfect pair of black espedrilles that will last me through the summer. Even weekdays are easier. I find that I rarely have to set an alarm clock before work and, despite being in a professional holding pattern, I start each morning with genuine enthusiasm, looking forward to tackling whatever challenge might present itself.

In the first few weeks of my living here, when sunshine in March was still a novelty and I didn't have a job to rush off to in the mornings, I would sometimes sit on the floor in front of my big picture window, and, like a cat, bask in the sun's warming rays. Since I've gotten furniture, I don't sit on the floor too often, but something inspired me to do so this morning. Just five minutes of sitting in the sun was all the motivation I needed to get my coffee, apply brain to blog, and kick off year two in LA with just as much enthusiasm as I had when I arrived for year one. Coming off one of the best weekends I've had in a long time, I think I'm already off to a good start.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home