Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Everything I wanted, nothing I needed

A few months ago I vented my frustration at the lack of a decent salad bar in Pasadena or anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area for that matter. Since then, I had all but given up on my lunchtime takeout options, and actually got into making yummy healthy sandwiches at home. Sure, that's much more vanilla and I have to think of more creative excuses to leave the office mid-day, but I rather enjoy doing it and my tastebuds are just as pleased with the arrangement.

Then, yesterday, I didn't have time to prepare lunch before work, so ventured out with my coworkers to try a new place that had opened within the last month or so. Lo and behold, inside this new establishment stood the ghost of my lunchtime past - the long-awaited, sorely-missed salad concept of "You call it, we toss it" was now in Pasadena!

Thirty choices of fresh vegetables, meats, cheeses and legumes lay spread before me, mine for the picking and proper mixing with my choice of lettuce: romaine, mixed greens, or spinach. Salad dressings were limited but reasonably so, and the most important part was that they poured it for me. Two small servings of raspberry vinegarrette, fully tossed in with the salad to ensure every morsel was perfectly coated with fat-free goodness. It was the exact same order I placed nearly everyday in New York and I was literally giddy with excitement. (My co-workers must be glad I don't join them too often).

Ten dollars later (funny, it was never that much before) I sat with my salad, oddly dissatisfied. The vegetables were fresh, the food exactly as I had asked for, but it was bland, boring - more vanilla than any homemade sandwich. Dare I think it - have I moved on?

Don't get me wrong - I'm still excited to have this new place as an option, and I plan on making it my first choice on those days when a sandwich won't cut it. But, now that I got what I wanted, it doesn't - literally - taste as good as the wanting.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home