Monday, January 09, 2006

Training since Powder Puff

Well, I didn't get a lump of coal in my stocking or gain five pounds, but the holidays did leave me a big fat credit card bill as a token of their - pun alert! - presence. Aw, Santa, you shouldn't have. Regardless, I am excited to have two more reasons to open my wallet this winter, and that is to support my friends in training for the Adidas Vancouver International Marathon with the New York City Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.

Cara and Laura, two of my oldest and dearest friends from college, both former AZD's and present day media mavens, are together training for this event to raise money for leukemia, Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and myeloma. I don't know exactly what that means either, but they've both kindly set up websites to educate those of us whose awareness of the diseases doesn't extend far past Party of Five. Mmm, Charlie.

Laura, who writes for Self and has one of the largest and most naturally colorful vocabularies of anyone I know in person, has launched See Laura Run, an equally colorful blog which offers links for more information and hopefully regular updates of her progress. I told Laura that for the sake of our friendship (okay, just my $25 donation) she wasn't allowed to "Kona-out" on me and stop writing at the halfway point. Go, Laura, go!

When Cara's not juggling 8 accounts at her PR agency, she writes freelance articles for some small random paper called The Wall Street Journal. She was in Australia last week but still managed to put this together. God knows when she finds time to actually run, but she's been running longer than even Laura's vocabulary words, so I have no doubt that both will cross the finish line without any dangling participles.

While it's extremely admirable that they are training for a worthy cause - as I run for the narcissistic charity case known as "my saddlebags" - I'm just excited to connect with more New York friends through the big bad world of blogging. I have said that my blog has kept open lines of communication that might otherwise have gotten tangled in that busy mess called "life", and I hope my friends find the same sense of satisfaction I feel when sharing something new. And if they don't, well, I hope they raise a lot of money anyway.

Good luck, girls! May you be engineered to the exact specifications of championship athletes! (DaSilva/Klineberg/Nike, 1996)

Labels:



3 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the hell is the Wall Street Journal? How obscure!

Seriously, how lovely that you have such altruistic friends. With good vocabularies.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I know, right? I am beyond lucky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home