Monday, November 07, 2005

Happy 31st, Hello Kitty

I still have writer's block. I'm attributing it to a lack of environmental stimulation, although it's possible that living in LA for eight months has finally led to the inevitable brain dump. I assumed that would happen over time, but, coming from NYC, I suppose I'm on the accelerated plan. So I apologize in advance if my writing seems exceptionally lame.

A year ago this week I was in town to celebrate Hello Kitty's 30th anniversary. (It was very important that we refer to it as an anniversay, not a birthday, because Hello Kitty is ageless.) It was the best work trip ever.

I was staying in the Mondrian Hotel for the second time in as many months. For reasons never made clear to me, I was given a room upgrade, and spent two nights sleeping in a suite larger than my current apartment. I SO felt like a rock star.

The party was held on a soundstage at Raleigh Studios (so Hollywood!) and I had invited all of my LA friends. Nicole Richie's fiancee was spinning, I was hanging with Aunt Becky, and, well, those were really the only two celebrities that came (DJ AM was being paid of course). It was five months before my official move date, and I was so amped I was literally jumping out of my skin with excitement. I hadn't yet shared my plans with my boss or client, however, and was biting back the words to tell them. A group of us went to Skybar after the party, and I think I told as many strangers as I could find just to get the news off my chest.

That night was electric. I was just so outrageously, incredibly, out-of-my-mind happy. Most of the gift bag items were lame - kid stuff - but I did keep the stuffed Target dog with a Hello Kitty collar as a token of the trip. He watches over me from the living room shelf and makes sure I never forget that amazing night.

Labels: , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home