Saturday, January 16, 2010

How I unlocked my radio security code and saved ANOTHER $135 by avoiding the dealer

I mentioned yesterday that, because the car guy had disconnected my battery in order to change my timing belt, I had been inadvertently left without a working car stereo. Apparently anytime the battery dies or gets disconnected, my radio goes into protection mode and requires a special anti-theft code in order to turn itself back on. The car guy didn't know the code or how to get it, and the Santa Monica Acura dealership was going to charge $135 to tell me. I believe that might be what some people refer to as "extortion."

Dreading another day of a tinny Pandora-via-iPhone soundtrack, I sat down to consult the all-knowing Father Google. And lo and behold, what did I find within one minute and the first five links of my search? Well, first I found a couple of links which mentioned that if the dealer sold you the car, they are required by law to give you the code for free. I did buy my car there, but even if I hadn't, Honda (which makes Acura) actually set up a consumer website for this exact purpose. Following that website, I was able to follow the simple directions and within minutes, had a working car stereo. All for the price of... wait for it... zero dollars!

Seems the only thieves I should be worrying about work at the dealer.

Labels: , , ,



1 Comments:

At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it were me, I might not have been able to resist printing out the documentation showing that it was illegal to charge for the work, marching over to the dealership, and having a little fun with legal threats... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home