Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Do-goodery

I have so many things I've been meaning to write about, but, I don't know - I've been so tired, or so busy, or there is such good TV on again...

I'll save some of those stories (reminders: Santa Monica, camp, nails, Jay Leno) for another time, so I can focus in on a few that fall under one common umbrella - giving, generosity, and the kindness of the human spirit.

To start, my car recently surpassed the 100,000 mile mark, and Acura has been telling me - since about 75K - that I need a new timing belt. The price they quoted me was a lot - about $1300 for the belt and $900 for the cooling hoses that go along with it. Hello! Who ever advised me that owning a car made good financial sense? I am totally leasing next time.

Anyway, I decided I wasn't going to take it to Acura, at least not before getting a quote from somewhere else. The problem was - I didn't really know anywhere else. Most of my friends here lease, and the ones that own cars seem to have daddies that take care of these problems. Finally, I got a recommendation from a friend at work who is the most meticulous, Type A researcher you could want recommending these things, and was backed up by another coworker who got work done at the same place. They both told me the guy was uncommonly nice, trustworthy, and basically a diamond in a coal mine. So I called for the estimate on Monday, and you know what it was? $600 for the timing belt and $200 for the coolants. SOLD.

His auto shop was by my office, so I could drop it off in the morning, and he assured me it would be done by 5:30 at night. Ideal. This week has been crazy for me, with something either every morning before work or evening after, but I decided to drop it off today when he assured me it would be finished, and if there was a problem, he would know by 10 or 11 AM and call me so I could make any alternate transportation arrangements. I made a very big point of making sure of this, because I had something at 7PM tonight in downtown LA that I really couldn't miss.

I was getting ready to leave the office at 5:30 when he called to say it would be at least another hour until the car was ready. That was unacceptable, and I told him so. Not only did I have this meeting at 7:00, but I had asked a friend at work to drive me back to the auto shop, and I wasn't going to ask her to wait around for another hour. New York Lori made a bit of an appearance. I wasn't mean, I wasn't irrational, but I reminded him of our conversation and I told him in no uncertain terms that this was not acceptable.

He recognized his mistake for not calling me sooner, apologized profusely, and offered to book me a rental car for the night, at his expense.

And then I felt like a royal asshole.

But seriously? That is good service.

Enterprise picked me up, and I was on the road myself by 6:20. The "meeting" I had downtown was actually an orientation for some volunteer work I plan to do this season through a company called Taproot, which basically pairs professional people like myself with non-profit organizations to provide pro-bono work in the area of our expertise.

My expertise, in this situation, is as a copywriter. I was accepted to the program in December, but had to attend an orientation to be matched with a project. Basically, if I missed tonight's orientation, I would have to wait until March, which I feel would be a big waste of two months in which I have a lot of free time. And yes, I had to be accepted. Apparently they only accept 10% of applicants so it is a fairly big deal to be part of the program. There was a ton of talent in the room tonight, and for the first time in a while, I actually felt quite young. The majority of the people there had 20-30 years of experience. I won't know for a few days or even weeks what kind of project I'll get put on - they approach me based on my skills and I can accept or decline - but I hope it's something that excites me and I can find some passion for.

So, all of this do-gooding brings us to the situation in Haiti, which no one needs me to opine about. Instead, I suggest this: for every comment left on this post between now and 11:59 PM on Sunday night (1/17), I'll donate $5 to the Red Cross. (Don't worry - I don't have a lot of readers!) (Though just in case, let's say that I'll donate $5 for each comment up to $100/20 comments, and $1 per comment after that.) Here's my only request: Please no anonymous comments. You don't have to go whole hog with a Blogger account if it's too much trouble, but leave your name (or any name) along with some line about how you know me, or how you found me. Feel free to repost or reTweet or do whatever you can to raise the amount. I'll post the final donation receipt on Monday.

Think of it this way: I just saved $1400 fine-tuning my car. I can pay at least a fraction of that forward.



19 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

God Bless You for this Lori. I've donated a small amt, all I could right now-and hope to give more later when I can.

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Deesia said...

This is Deesia... I saw this website as a retweet.. Every amunt helps and may God Bless you for ur generosity.

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Karl Hakkarainen said...

Great idea, Lori. Thanks much.
Love
k

 
At 3:28 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

You make me so proud. Great post by the way.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger AmyBow said...

good for you LoriMac!

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,

Found your site from another blog (SuperJux, I believe). Anyways, great blog, and any chance you'd share the name of that auto shop?


Thanks!
-Laurey

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger shayze said...

Great idea! Thanks for doing this!

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, $1300 for a timing belt? They're good for 90,000 miles usually, but good for you for shopping around for a decent price.

I look forward to seeing how Taproot works out, and thanks for the heads up. I was thinking over the holidays that surely my IT skills could be used for some non-profit somewhere.

And bravo on the donation plan!

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Hilary said...

I can vouch for Laurey. :)

And I have a wonderful mechanic in West Hollywood that I trust completely should you ever need another recommendation!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Adam Hakkarainen said...

Hope you get your car back soon.

Adam

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Keith said...

GeekHiker: Timing belts are supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles, not 90,000.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, everyone! This is fun, and I appreciate the comments!

Laurey, here is a link to the place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/arroyo-tech-automotive-repair-pasadena

GH/Keith: I don't remember exactly when Acura started telling me when I needed the timing belt replaced, but it was before the summer, and I remember Googling it and seeing that it should be around 60K or 75K miles. But when I took the car into this guy, he told me that Hondas/Acuras make timing belts that last a lot longer, usually around 100K. He told me if I had done it at 60 or 75K it would have been a waste. He also showed me the belt that he took out of my car, and it was in good condition, with a few cracks in it, but not in real danger or breaking. I'm glad I did it, but was also glad to have that comparison.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous empyrios said...

just scooted over from CDAN when i saw your post there.

this is really cool of you Lori :)

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this idea. Go do-gooder. You know how I found you.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Katja said...

Awesome!
I did basically the same thing moving alone from Colorado to LA in my late 20's. I stayed 4 years.
Have fun!

katja (Andrea)

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger sprinkles said...

I found you thru CDaN. Thanks for doing this. I am unemployed and have NO $$ to donate so now I can feel like I've done something to help.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous bill said...

Go Lori!

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I have been reading your blog for a long time but don't think I've ever commented... I found it through a link on another blog, I'm not sure which one at this point, but I have always enjoyed your writing.
-Sasha

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Lori: I've had different Hondas for over 10 years now, and every Honda dealership has recommended changing the timing belt at 60,000 miles. Having it snap and immediately cripple your car is way more expensive than replacing it as recommended.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home