Friday, January 15, 2010

Drive me crazy

I wanted to give a quick update on my car situation, but first, thank you to everyone who has commented on the post below. If you haven't yet, please do! It's for a good cause!

So, Thursday morning, I woke up early so I could drop the rental off at Enterprise and pick my car up at the dealer. Everything worked out smoothly, and I was at-work at 9 AM problem-free. Well, almost. Apparently, when they worked on my car they had to shut down? take out? insert car lingo I don't know? my battery, which prompted my car stereo to invoke its security protection and turn itself off, for good, until I can enter the security code. The car guy told me it might be in my manual (it wasn't) or that I should call the dealership, who should have it. So I drove away in literal radio silence, and called the dealer once I was back at the office. The dealer apparently doesn't have it, but if I bring it in, they will charge me $135 to re-set it. Click. I called my new auto-body shop to ask about it, though so far have not heard back. I've been listening to Pandora on my iPhone, which is a God-send, but seriously people, this kind of sucks.

What also sucks was that Thursday evening, as I was driving to meet a friend for dinner, I got rear-ended on the 101. Rear ended! The same day I pick my car up from the shop! So awesome! (Though I am grateful it was only that and I didn't, like, total my car the day after I put multiple hundreds of dollars into it.) We pulled over to the side of the road, and in the dark I could barely even see the damage. (And yes, I did take photos). In today's light, I can see paint scrapes from her car, but there are no dents or any real damage to it. And she was a lovely older woman who was very apologetic about it and I'm really thinking it's not even worth going through insurance and maybe not even worth getting fixed.

This is the third time I've been rear-ended. Note, I have never done it to anyone - I am always the recipient - so I am pretty sure that it's not my driving. The first time was the worst - notable damage to the bumper and the under-carriage, and I went through insurance and had it fixed. Literally weeks after I got it fixed, I got rear-ended again, and that time, the damage just didn't seem worth going through that hassle. I've been driving around with scrapes on my bumper for four years now, so the new ones from last night aren't really putting me out. I'm more put out at the idea of taking my car back to the shop - even the really good shop - and raising this woman's insurance for scrapes I'm just not that bothered about. Is that naive of me? Girly? Lazy?

Any advice is appreciated.



1 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scrapes are on the bumper cover; as long as there's no damage to the bumper underneath, you're okay to leave it alone. If it's only the cover, the cost of re-painting it is probably less than the deductible...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home