Monday, September 03, 2007

Too Darn Hot

I'm one of those people who are always cold.

I typically wear long sleeves until the temperature reaches 80. My office mates know that unless the rest of building is sweltering, I'll be bundled up in a sweater, wearing sweatpants under my skirts at my desk. My own personal motto is, "the hotter the better," and my only complaint about living in LA is that the summers here don't get nearly as warm as they did back in New York. Which is also what has allowed me to live without air conditioning for the past few years - I very rarely need it.

Except that when I do - like today, for instance, when the outside temperature has spent its third day in triple digits and the indoor temperature is exactly the same, except, oh, WITHOUT THE BREEZE - I'm actually hating the heat, hating everything that is coming in contact with my skin, especially the sweat that won't stop dripping down it, a dirty little reminder that I should be careful what I wish for.

I had planned to stay in and be productive all day today. My next four months are going be a whirlwind in terms of work, trips, and social obligations, and I was looking forward to spending a chunk of time today getting my finances in order, making detailed to-do lists and spreadsheets, and knocking out some business stuff that has me a little stressed. But it's just too darn hot.

I went to the beach yesterday. While it was better than being in my apartment, it offered little in terms of cooling relief. So I think that now I am going to spend about two hours at my air conditioned gym - until my iPod runs out of battery or I pull something, whatever comes first. I am actually going to bring my stuff and shower there, as getting dressed in the air conditioned locker room is sounding much more enticing than air-drying in front of my fan. Then I might have to seek another source of air conditioning, like a mall, which will completely counteract my intentions to budget; although I have a feeling that the throngs of people slopping up Sale items may make me just crazy enough to leave, and head back into the heat.

All I know is that I am having ice cream for dinner.



4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

of course you go the gym of all places when it is hot! Hope you spent some quality time staying cool.

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I was using the heat on my way to the gym. It was 41 degrees!

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

I have central air--you're more than welcome to hang out at my place!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

Yikes! Hope you were able to cool down...and that the weather stops with that shit PRONTO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home