Sunday, May 06, 2007

East coast - west coast limbo

So, I'm writing from New York, where I am on yet another work trip. Another day, another dollar, no Rash Face to speak of. Not sure how I beat that one yesterday, but I am very thankful.

I had set my alarm for 8 AM this morning; so, naturally, I woke up at 6. Then 6:30, then 7, until finally, at 7:30, I just got out of bed already and finished packing, cleaning, and took my time getting ready until it was time to leave. The flight left on time, but because we were "overloaded" we had to make a pit stop in Salt Lake City for gas. This annoyed most of my fellow passengers, but I hadn't made any plans for tonight and was really in no rush to get to New York, so it didn't bother me at all.

Utah is one state I have never been, and, even though I wasn't going to be leaving the plane, I was kind of looking forward to touching down in a new city. I watched in awe as we came in for the landing against the great Salt Lake; I literally gasped in amazement when the plane turned and we were suddenly surrounded by snow-capped mountains on every side. From the air, the Lake had looked like the picture of summer; from the ground, it was a completely different scene, a different season.

We were grounded for less than an hour, but it was enough to make the rest of the day feel exhausting. We landed at JFK at 8, I didn't get a cab until 9, and I didn't reach my hotel until almost 10. I stay at the same hotel every time I come for business, and am treated like a VIP. So when the first room didn't have a full-length mirror, I had no problem going back downstairs and requesting a new room. Graciously, I was given another room, but that room was also lacking a mirror, and, I'm sorry, I just can't get dressed without one. Call me vain, call me whatever you want, just don't ever call me uncoordinated. So I went BACK downstairs, and got my choice of two rooms, and now I am set up in something in between a junior suite and a palace, and oh, it has an extra bed if anyone wants to have a sleepover.

Once I was happy with my room, I went down to the restaurant/bar in the hotel in which I am also a regular. By the time I made it though, they were just closing the kitchen, and I had to practically beg them for something to eat. The quickest thing on the menu, I scarfed down a huge order of edame as my dinner, along with a glass of wine. Because I had eaten so little all day, one of the two made me nauseaus, and I took a second glass "to go" up to my room, where I sit now, partly exhausted from sitting on a plane all day, but partly wired having done nothing of substance and knowing that it is only 9PM in LA.

And another work trip begins.

Labels:



2 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

Honey, you aren't vain. You're a WOMAN.And you're honest. F em if they can't take it.

Oh and at least you get to come home to sunshine and party planning and lots of good stuff to look forward to.

:)

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you liked the view in Utah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home