Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Much ado about nothing

I know I haven't been doing much writing. It's not that I have nothing going on, in fact, I couldn't be busier! Although it's not like some people, who get too busy to blog; rather, I find that the busier I am, the more time I find to write. I don't know what my problem is, whether it is a shortage of subjects or just a persistant case of writer's block.

Actually, I think part of the problem is my preference for writing. As many things as I've had going on over the past few weeks, I'm not one to blog my to-do list or weekend recap. I don't know why, I certainly am addicted to enough other blogs that do that. I guess I just get greater joy at writing anecdotally, finding meaning in singular exchange, or a story to tell through a few mundane details. It's more of a challenge for me, and until now, one I think I have, for the most part, met.

I've started two posts over the past five days. One was about seeing photos of people I grew up with and finding that they looked disappointingly middle-aged; the other was about ex-boyfriends, the fact that I typically stay friends with them, and that two have recently made their way back into my life. But neither of the posts went anywhere. Once I began writing and got the initial thoughts out of my head, I found that I really had very little to say. The thoughts just kind of died off in cyberspace, or got distracted by Grey's Anatomy, or something.

And then there is the fact that more people are reading this thing these days, and I feel like there is less I can write. Not about me, because I am pretty comfortable with what I write about myself, but about my friends. Three people have said to me in the last few weeks alone, "Don't blog about this, okay?" Of course, I could use synonyms so their names would never be traced, but they would see their story on here and feel self-conscious or exposed, and I don't want that.

Nor do I not want my friends to read! The whole point of this thing was to have a showcase where everyone could catch up with me despite a three-hour time difference or my aversion to the telephone in any time zone, and I still feel that the more people that find this the better.

I just need to start finding new material.



5 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

You know, it's funny... I'm your opposite lately. I feel like my blog has become something that chronicles my life/weekends instead of talking about anything meaningful. I guess that's because anything that was meaningful to me became more trouble than it was worth...

I like how you write. I like your anecdotes. But I also like hearing about what you did all weekend. Keeps your new friends updated, too!

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I love the anectodal stuff that you write but when you do reveal what's happening with you, it's pretty exciting because it doesn't happen on a consistent basis. Plus, I should add that both the pics of old friends and the topic of being friends with ex-boyfriends would definitely interest me.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger AmyB said...

You're a gifted writer, and I honestly even enjoyed this post about not having anything to write! :o)

I'm with Jill...I would definitely enjoy the two stories you have started. Maybe you just need to step away from them for a few days in order to gain new perspective. Living tends to do that to a person, after all. Ha!

Take care!

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sleeping with your ex-boyfriend would have made for a much more interesting story.

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Lori said...

I guess so, ex-boyfriend, but I make it a practice not to lie on this thing, even for the sake of entertainment. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home