Monday, August 28, 2006

Clearly colorblind

A few months ago I mentioned that I maybe just might be a little bit tanorexic. Well, today I learned that just as I consistently think my skin is paler than it is, I apparently also think my teeth are less white, less bright, than they actually are. Is there a term for that? Other than, say, Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

I have thought about getting my teeth professionally whitened for a while. I don't smoke, but I do drink plenty of coffee and red wine, and well, there's always room for improvement. I haven't used anything but whitening toothepaste since it came on the market a few years ago, and I've done the White Strips, the Rembrant Trays, the Night Polish, and probably a few other things in between. They all worked fine, but like I said, room for improvement.

So last week I heard on the radio that Brite Smile was offering their treatment for a third off the regular price if you booked through the end of the month. Recognizing the opportunity, I promptly scheduled my appointment for first thing this morning. I arrived at the office, sat down in the chair, and let the dentist poke around in my mouth for a bit. Then he brought out the clay model of teeth, ascending in shades of yellow-to-whiteness, in order to show me where my teeth fell in the spectrum and what shade I could expect them to be after the procedure. And what do you know? My teeth were already whiter than the whitest option. There was virtually no room for improvement after all.

Somewhat sheepishly, I left the office, procedure-free and payment-free, thinking that now I had just a bit more money to spend on some other foolish, vanity-driven treatment down the road. By the time I got into work, however, I decided to take this as a sign that maybe I should just put the unspent money toward a well-needed vacation, as clearly, my reality is blurred.



8 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could be a sign of how awesome marketing works. They're trying to sell you things you don't even need. Good thing you ran into a dentist who was honest. Where's his practice? I need still need to find a good dentist in LA.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Lori said...

I went to the Brite Smile office on Wishire in BH. They only do teeth whitening. I can give you the name and number of my dentist in Century City if you want. I think she is great, although her hygienist was the one who hit on me back in April. Not that that should keep you from going.

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah would you be so kind to hook me up with thier details? Gotta check to see if they are in my insurance plan.

To be honest, I haven't had much luck with dentists in USA. I've checked out a few but everytime I was sketched out by how "old" their equipment looked. I've always flown back to Holland to go to dentist there.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Jill said...

That's so FUNNY!! I went to a dentist a couple of weeks ago to get my teeth whitened and he essentially laughed me right out of his office!!

TIP: drink coffee through a straw. I've been doing it for years and it totally works. :)

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Wow - us and our dentists. Your dentist hit on you too, right? So weird...

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger CaliforniaStyle said...

Hey, I think I'm a bit tanorexic too however in the last few weeks I just haven't had time and I'm losing my tan. And when I am pale, I feel like my teeth are not as white either but everyone tells me that my teeth are as white as it can be (including the dentist), what's wrong with us, LOL!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Speaking of which, I really should go tanning today (haha!! You west coast girls are such a bad influence on me!!) :)

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

From a fellow dentist-creep survivor... ;)

Just thinking a vacation is definitely in order. Los Angeles can make you feel like you need LOTS of tweaks.

You're perfect as-is, darlin'!

Have a great extra weekend day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home