Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The 30 Under 30

There's some minor drama happening in the background of my life right now that I haven't experienced since I was maybe 25 or so. I guess the 30's really are the new 20's.

Okay, so the link I highlighted earlier, "Things to do before you're 30" expired before I had a chance to read through them. I suppose I could pay to read the article, but since even I'm tired of listening to myself complain, I had already decided that tonight's post was going to highlight everything I have already accomplished in my short life. In other words, things I've done before I'm 30. In the blogging world, many people write what's known as "The 100" - a list of 100 things about them that they may or may not do at their 100th post. Since I passed my 100th post probably a year ago, I'll just call my list The 30 Under 30:

1. I moved across the country by myself. For fun. Or sanity.
2. I got both.
3. I have lived in three major cities: Boston, New York, and LA, and I have loved every one of them.
4. I have traveled to major cities across America and across Europe.
5. In total, I would guestimate that I have been to at least 10 countries in the world (America, Canada, Mexico, Jamaica, England, France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Germany. Maybe, kind of, Venezuela.)
6. I met Richard Simmons at the Roman Collosseum.
7. I have actually met a lot of celebrities, both randomly and as part of an ongoing series of interesting, challenging jobs I still feel lucky to have had.
8. My first job out of college was as an admin in the creative department of a major ad agency. The first time I was allowed to work on a campaign as a writer, paired with an art director and all, our ad was chosen and ran in national magazines. My annual salary was the same as my age, making me probably the lowest-paid copywriter in all of New York. But I was officially a copywriter.
9. I have since made a lot more than that.
10. I was also one of the youngest Directors at my old PR agency. But part of the PR was that titles were meaningless.
11. I've never gotten a speeding ticket.
12. I've never been arrested.
13. I was a Color War Captain - the highest honor one can get at camp. Well, at least during Color War.
14. I can run an 8:40 mile. A few of them, actually.
15. I still have a better body than most 25 year olds. Especially if those 25 year olds eat a lot of pizza.
16. I know a lot of people in high places.
17. But I also know that that doesn't mean much.
18. Although it has gotten me onto the pages of Harper's Bazaar, Self, and on the Today Show.
19. I have made more good friends in my life than any one person deserves. They wouldn't care if I couldn't get listed in the Sharon Advocate.
20. I have family members that would go out and buy every copy of the Sharon Advocate if I were.
21. I was actually in the Sharon Advocate in high school. See? They spelled my name wrong.
22. I was also in the Boston Globe a few years later. I actually gave the wrong name on purpose because I was at the Matzo Ball and didn't think my last name was Jewish enough.
23. I have since made peace with my lack of religious conviction.
24. And my last name. Mostly.
25. I can sing two songs in sign language. {Let There be Peace on Earth, and Next Time I Fall in Love (It Will be with You)}
26. I was the Social of my college sorority. That meant that I planned parties.
27. I somehow managed to parlay that into a career.
28. That I really enjoy.
29. And can support myself with.
30. Enough to host a party on Saturday night for roughly 20 people. And I don't skimp when it comes to parties. It's my job, after all.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home