Thursday, May 25, 2006

New birthday concept: Martinis and Metamucil

So, I'm putting together the evite for my upcoming birthday celebration, or, as I'm referring to it, the funeral, and I'm browsing old Evites for inspiration. Evite apparently keeps all of your past invitations on file, and I have nearly 100, dating all the way back to 2001. For my birthday this year, because I don't have a ton of people to invite and because I'm not in a huge celebratory mood, I've decided to stay low-key, hosting cupcakes and cocktails starting at the reasonable hour of 9 PM. At least it seemed reasonable, until I realized that only a year and a half ago I sent out an evite that asked people to "arrive by 11:30 for priority entry (no waiting on line)."

The party in question started at 10:30 PM, but almost no one starts partying at 10:30 in New York. Given that bars stay open until 4 AM, it was a completely reasonable request to ask people to please try and arrive before midnight as to ensure their entry. My own going-away party started at 11, and I remember having to rush just to make it by then. Even so, when we got there, the place was just picking up.

Granted, LA isn't that kind of town - people here go out at 9 and are home by 1; but, if I wasn't feeling old before, I sure am now.



3 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger The Flying Enchilada said...

I love a town where I can party till 4am. I don't think I could actually stay awake past 1:30am, but the idea of partying till 4 rocks.

Have fun planning and don't let the funk bring ya down, it will get better, I promise.

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Dustin said...

odd
i didnt get one

hmph

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Amy L said...

heh my 30th in LA was so damn funny. 12 gals, a white limo and one ridiculously drunk bday girl. by the time the bars closed, i was nearly comatose anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home