Sunday, January 22, 2006

My Own Private Orange County

Sometimes I feel like Al Bundy, caught in the present, stuck in the past. Only instead of trying to recapture the glory of a high school football championship, I'm just trying to find my way back to the Carrier Dome.

Sigh. I'll just say it: I've been missing college lately. Yep, I'm going to be 30 years old and I still revel in nostalgia of my life ten years ago. Could anything be more pathetic?

Well, I suppose that's only half the story. While I did love college and would love (LOVE) to be 21 again, what I really miss is my Syracuse connection. As I've posted many times before, my social life for the past 7+ years has been centered around other alumni, even though we may have been 300, or now, 3000 miles away from campus.

I went to an old friend's birthday party on Friday night. He, I, and one other guy were the only 'Cuse graduates there, but it was the most fun I've had in a long time. Well, it was the most fun I've had since two weeks earlier when I went out with three other girls from my year - my Freshman dorm, actually. And those two nights were the most fun I've had in LA since I moved here last spring and hung out with the Delt boys on a regular basis, falsely encouraging me to think that my social life in LA would be little different than in New York.

Was it something in the water? Or, more likely, the beer? Why is it that nearly 8 years out of college I haven't made any friends that come close to the relationships I have with my fellow alumni?

Socially, I'm active. I have enough friends and acquaintances to provide me with plans most Friday and Saturday nights, as well as the odd weeknight in between. But while generally fun, the nights feel empy, devoid of connection or the belly laughs I share with my Syracuse friends.

I settled on this admittedly lame topic because I've been having a bit of writers' block lately, finding it difficult to come up with meaningful subjects to write about beyond Chanel screw-ups (it got even worse after Reese, if you can believe it. Remember what Mariah wore? Well, Karl's office was hoping you'd forget. And then there was the small Natalie Portman/Debra Messing issue. But I digress). I know its not some of my best writing, and I know it's SO uncool to miss college when "30 is the new 20!" But there it is.

As for my exciting, non-Syracuse-centered Hollywood life, I saw Elizabeth Perkins at dinner last night. She's as cute as ever and I wanted to run up and give her a Big hug.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home