Saturday, August 27, 2005

One more reason not to do the dishes

I was having a great normal Saturday today, the first Saturday in a month that I have had all to myself just to sleep in, clean the apartment, and fit in a decent workout. I woke up at 9 or 9:30, got my coffee and a pedicure, and then started on the cleaning binge that I've been looking forward to all week (sick, what I look forward to these days).

I had just sprayed some Soft Scrub in the tub, and went to wash the dishes while the scrubbing bubbles took effect. Since I don't have a dishwasher in my apartment, I rarely ever use real (i.e. not plastic) dishware or silverware and thus never actually have dishes to wash, but since my mom was in last weekend, I figured the least I could do was let us consume wine out of actual glasses.

As I started on glass number two, it broke in my hand, and cut me deep in the knuckle of my index finger. I immediately started running the cold water, and I could see that it was deep. Not bone deep, but significant tissue deep. I was kind of panicked, because I knew this was no ordinary cut, but there was no one around, and I wasn't quite sure what to do. It was bleeding too much for me to drive to the hospital, not that I knew which hospital to go to anyway or how to get there. After 5 or 10 minutes, it slowed down enough that I grabbed my phone, and started dialing the address book. Of course no one answered, except one friend who was about 45 minutes away and therefore not much help. He actually wanted to call me an ambulance, but I didn't want an ambulance to come to take me away for a boo-boo, and plus, I don't have health insurance right now (eligable in about a week, I think, and stopped paying COBRA last month because, hey, nothing ever happens to me) and didn't want to incur any unneccessary charges.

At that point, my neighbors came home, and the girl next door ended up driving me to UCLA Medical Center. I sat in the emergency room for about two hours, and then they finally called me, took x-rays, and sent me home with four stitches. I've never actually had stitches before. I came close once in college, when a broken beer bottle cut into my arm as its owner was obliviously giving me a bear hug. (Anyone notice a theme here? "When alcohol attacks"? Oddly enough, I was sober both times.) But that time they just washed the cut out with vodka in the bathroom and gave me a butterfly bandage. By the time I went to the student health center the next day, there was nothing left for them to do but give me a tetanus shot (which, fortunately, was one less thing I had to get today).

So now I am bandaged, and it doesn't hurt, but it is on the knuckle of my index finger which kind of gets in the way of just about EVERYTHING I do. I am supposed to get the stitches out next Sat., which isn't exactly how I wanted to spend my weekend, but now I know to at least bring a book. And a sweater. That emergency room was freezing. Of course, earlier in the day, I had been complaining about the heat of my apartment. Life is funny like that.