Thursday, August 04, 2005

A heart that no longer lives in New York

I'm off to New York tomorrow for a quick little trip. My reason for going is Rebecca's baby shower on Sunday, so before that I will spend the weekend with Cara and Heather and hopefully see some other people from my former life. I have mixed feelings about going. Obviously I am excited to see my friends, but I am not really looking forward to being in the actual city. I'd be more excited if they were coming here.

Nothing caused me to want to move more than the thought of spending one more sticky August weekend in Manhattan. And it's not just the weather, of course. I find myself limiting my weekend shoe wardrobe to only what is comfortable enough for a day of walking around. I'm dreading the high prices of dinner and drinks that I never bat an eye at before the move, but now seem so frivolous and wasteful. I mean, I still look at restaurant checks out here and am continuously shocked at how low prices are compared to New York. And the whole idea of going from cab to subway to bus to train all weekend... I'm exhausted and I'm not even there yet! And yet I've only been in L.A. for five months - not even - when did I have so much time to get so settled into this life? I'm like a little baby with an old soul, or like a bitter ex-girlfriend forced to see her old boyfriend at a party. Am I bitter at the city or have I just learned to ask for more out of the relationship?

For someone that has only been in LA for less than five months, I consider myself beyond adjusted, and often, old-school. Case in point: a girl I've known since Freshman year of college is moving into the apartment next door to me. Because she mentioned to me that she was looking, and my neighbors mentioned to me that they were leaving, and the next thing you knew, it was a done deal. I just moved here myself; I have no business managing to find someone else an apartment! What/who do I know? Apparently, enough. And it is so fitting that she is Syracuse, and also in PR, and God, can my world get any smaller? But you know I love it. I don't know anything any other way.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home