Monday, December 13, 2004

Decisions, decisions...

So I was supposed to "hear" the news today but it didn't happen. It's probably so that I don't get discouraged and give up on the whole thing - especially when I still have two months to work on it - but I SO already am discouraged and just checked out. It didn't help that we got a crazy call today about something that could have been handled otherwise. The whole thing just drives me nuts.

So now I am seriously thinking of leaving sooner. First of all, there will be very little to do after the Holidays - just housekeeping stuff. Second, there will really be so little for me to do - that is, unless I become suddenly eager to take on more fashion or accessory accounts. If roles were reversed, I would fire me - save the salary. Oddly enough, however, I am really valued. Nice to know - but it's confusing.

The problem with quitting sooner is money. Say I left at the end of January. Ideally, I could go to LA for a week in Feb and interview - assuming I got interviews - but then I'd be unemployed here for 7 weeks with no paycheck. (Note: if I got fired I would at least get unemployment). I could stay with a friend, but I'd still have to pay for my flight (say $300) plus rent a car ($???) and also buy a suit or two and shoes and a bag since my clothes are all SO New York.

One scenario could be that I GET a job sooner, and could therefore start sooner and make money; however, I don't have Ted's place til March 19th. I guess I could stay with him or a friend or sublet while I start, but that is a lot of work and kind of stressful. Then again, quite honestly, if I am unemployed for all that time I will have nothing better to do than look for a sublet.

The flip side is if I don't get a job sooner. I am out a few hundred bucks (and I may have to fly back and forth more than once). I am not just OUT a few hundred, I'll be in debt already. I am stuck in freezing cold New York in February with nothing to do all day and no money to spend anyway.

I guess the smart thing to do is put my feelers out now. See if there are any opportunities on the horizon in the first place. Because the thought of staying where I am is excrutiating.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home