Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Seasons change

Wow. So, as if cued by Daylight Savings Time, the seasons here seemed to have changed overnight. It's been in the 80's the last few days, and 60's -70's at night. I went from turning the heat on on Saturday to contemplating taking my fan out of storage on Monday. My pale feet have been liberated from socks and tights and thrust back into spring and summer shoes, invoking painful, but not unwelcome, blisters. I could get used to this.

As much as you know I love the warm weather, I'm actually not thrilled it's here. Time just seems to be moving so fast these days. I guess I say that every year, but usually by the time the seasons change, I'm dying for summer to come, and now, well, I guess I'm just dreading turning another year older. Not that that's happening tomorrow. It's just out there.

Sally: I'm gonna be forty.
Harry: When?
Sally: Someday.
Harry: In eight years.
Sally: But it's there. It's just sitting there, like some big dead end.

Of course, we still have a few more months of cold and gray and gloom before I turn another year older and it officially turns into beach season. I just wish I could slow things down a bit.

As things are, it was five years ago Thursday that I picked up and moved to LA. Five years. And that seems to be about the average amount of time it takes for a once-hit TV show to officially jump the shark. Which is why I think it's a good time to admit to you all that I think I'm officially out steam for this blog.

I'm all about being official around here.

Part of it is simply that I'm out of material (same home, same job, same social status), and part of it is that I'm over the urge to write. Over the last five years, material hasn't always been plentiful, but I've always found inspiration, always had a voice editorializing in my head, imaging how the most obscure or arcane scenarios could be storied in print. Now, even when I have good material - celebrity sightings, dating warfare - it's a struggle to string together interesting sentences. I just think I need a break.

I'm going to leave this up for the next few days, so people can read this, and then set the blog on Private, with the intention of writing at best, once a week, but more likely, monthly or even less often. I don't expect many of you to keep up. But if you'd like to, please send me your email address and I'll add you to the list of private recipients so you will be notified and have one less thing to check everyday. I love that my friends and family check in, unprompted, to see how I'm doing, and I'm not entirely ready to lose this channel of communication.

To all of you who have kept up, and chimed in over the years - thank you. You have made this experience so unbelievably rewarding. I can't currently imagine my life without Lori MacBlogger, but right now I just don't feel like I am doing her justice.

And with that, I guess this is all I have left to say:


Labels:



2 Comments:

At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

I'd like to be the first to say thank you for all the great posts you've shared with us, and you will be missed. I'm happy to sign up for the private blog and look forward to reading whatever you have to say.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Wow! How depressing. :( Sorry, I don't want to make you feel bad but I would be sad to see the end of your blog. I would love to be included in your private blog and more importantly, I hope that we can finally meet one of these days. I think of you as one of the most grounded and wise people in the blogosphere so I hope you continue to write, one way or another.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home