Monday, July 27, 2009

Everything's coming up roses

Hi! Did you miss me? I'd love to say that I missed blogging, but, really, I didn't. I kind of enjoyed not reporting in. Especially since I had little to report, anyway. Let's mutually consider this my summer blogging schedule and both go grab a mai tai before reading the recap:

My business trip to New York was good. I'm still recovering a lot of the data that I lost on my computer, so I've been extra busy at work, which I think has also contributed to my lack of posting. But my media lists are finally almost back up to where they were, and my most important and timely documents were saved elsewhere, so I am out of panic mode for the time being.

A nice surprise was that Kelly Taylor (aka Jennie Garth) was on my flight back to LA. Before boarding, Jet Blue made a loud announcement paging "Jennie Garth Facinelli" to the terminal. I bounded out of my seat and strained my neck looking for any sign of her and her yummy hubby. Alas, she was traveling solo - well, with only kids and other women in tow - but it was still very exciting.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it here, but hands down, my very favorite part of every week is Saturday mornings when SoapNet plays old episodes of 90210. Especially since the weather has been nice, I've been waking up pretty early and catching an episode or two before my 9:30 yoga class. Sometimes it's seriously a struggle to leave the house. Last weekend, one of my favorite episodes ever came on right before I had to leave, and I spent 20 minutes mentally debating whether or not it was worth staying home. Reason won out and I went to yoga, but only because I figured I'd be able to find this on YouTube:



Also, and I know I have said this before, I have fallen headstand over heels in love with yoga. I have not run in weeks; haven't lifted a weight in months. And yet my body feels different, better, lighter, tighter, than it has in years. It's seriously amazing - but also, weird. For 15 years, I've defined myself by my workouts. I'm a "runner". I lift weights. I shave my legs so I can wear cute shorts and am constantly charging my iPod.

Now? I haven't even listened to my iPod in weeks. I shave for my work wardrobe but wear stretch pants to practice. More than that, my entire commuting schedule has changed. Rather than go to the gym near my office to avoid what most people would consider a miserable drive, I'm heading across town during rush hour to make my favorite classes. I can't say I don't mind or notice the traffic, but it doesn't really bother me, either. These all may sound like little, trivial details, but so much of my identity has been wrapped up in the gym, it's a little disconcerting to suddenly develop entirely new habits.

When I haven't been working or at the gym, I've been living life in LA - spending every weekend at the beach, going out with friends, celebrity-spotting when I can. Last Wednesday, I had two good sightings - at the same restaurant. First, James Spader, who is one of my favorite actors and childhood crushes, was eating with what looked like his wife and family. If I had a Top 5/Free Pass/Celebrity Sex Loophole List, I can confidently say that he would be on it.

A little bit later, Jillian The Bachelorette walked in. She and her friend ate at the bar but did not reveal any clues about what or who might have contributed to what is supposed to be the MOST EMOTIONAL SEASON FINALE IN BACHELORETTE HISTORY. (I typed that literally as Chris Harrison spoke it - I'm watching while I write.) I liked Jillian a lot when she was on The Bachelor last year, but she grated on my nerves a bit this season. I don't blame her for that; truthfully, I think that show is just so formulaic, they've reduced her to little more than a methodical rotation of sound bites. It didn't help that the series was extra long this year. But she looked like a cute, normal girl when I saw her, and maybe it was the wine or maybe it was James Spader, but I couldn't help but think that I liked her again.

Of course, given what takes place on TV tonight, I reserve the right to change my opinion.

Labels: , , , , ,



8 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Tiny E said...

You've been missed! And oh my God, if the episode with Color Me Bad isn't one of the greatest. Of course, this past weekend was the start of the Dylan/Kelly debacle and I have to say I'm almost tempted to DVR that crap if it turns out to be a nice weekend.

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUCH a great episode. God I love me some 9-0. I love the image of you bolting out of your seat to see Kelly Taylor. I would have been right there with you, knocking old ladies out of my way. She's awesome.
This comment makes me officially 12 years old by the way.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In which restaurant did you see Jillian and James? I just have to ask...was Mr. Spader and Ms. Stefanson accompanied by his two older sons (20 and 16) and/or the youngest (not quite a yr. old)? Sorry, so many questions from a curious East Coast fan. :-)

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Jon said...

You have been missed. Although, if I could guess, the lack of blogging could suggest and embracement of your own serenity. Perhaps your subconcious has accepted the transition to yoga and needs less stimuli. You are emotionally centered.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, guys!

Meeks, I miss hearing it called "9-0". That was so what it was when we were growing up. And I am forever 12.

Anonymous, we were at Cube, on La Brea. They were with the baby and one of the older boys, but not sure which one.

 
At 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Lori for that information. There has only been one picture of the baby and that was back in December. I'm glad to hear that it (I hate using the word "it", but up to this point they have not said if it is a boy or a girl) is not being kept under wraps. Any idea if the little person is a boy or a girl?

Glad you had the opportunity to see one of your favorites up close. I am hoping to get the opportunity to see him on Broadway, so that may be my chance.

Take care and best wishes.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Lori said...

Sorry - wasn't even looking at the baby!

 
At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Noj said...

Good, months ago wasn't there a dream about changing diapers. As for 90210 at some point I will transform form being a Brandon and be Dillon...but Brandon is still the best guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home