Friday, April 24, 2009

Hot, or not?

About three years ago, I bought what I thought was a really nice cardigan sweater from Armani Exchange. Made of a cream-colored cotton/wool/alpaca blend with leather piping, it was fairly expensive but super warm, and flattered much of my wardrobe. I've worn it dozens of times during the winters of 2007 and 2008.

This year, however, when I went to put it on, something looked different, off. I don't know if it was the length, the color, or the butterfly collar that had never bothered me before, but my former favorite suddenly looked less like a sweater and more like, well... more like a bathrobe.

Regretfully, it hasn't left my closet all this year, until today, when I decided to give it one final try. And while I don't know that it looks like I just rolled out of bed, something gave me pause enough to take a picture before I left the house.



Will you be the judge? Is this sweater stylish or schlumpy? Would you wear it out of the house? Or does it look like I've given up on life and should hide my face in a pint of Ben & Jerry's?

It's okay if you're leaning more towards "bathrobe." At least I'll have a costume for next Halloween. I think I'd make a decent Big Lebowski.



7 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Anonymous dawn said...

Fact is, if anyone can make a bathrobe look stylish, it's you. But I do think the cardigan still has life outside the house. It's totally cute.

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Noj said...

I think I've seen Renee Russo wearing something similar in the Thomas Crowne Affair. I have a sweater that is beige, cable knit and a role-neck and was told I looked like the old-spice guy. Honestly, Old Spice body wash is the best invention since the Gillete Mach 3 Razor...O/T...the cardigan is timeless and even though you aren't interested now, it could be a result of the unusual weather this past winter. I also believe that nothing won't look on you.

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm torn. In general I think these sweaters are shlumpy, but you are thin enough to make it stylish and I think it looks cute on you.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, guys. But I think you are all being too nice. And while I appreciate it, I'm still afraid of being looked at as "the girl walking around in a bathrobe". (At least that's not ALL I'm walking around in. That would be embarrassing.)

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Noj said...

My first thought was to say its too casual...but then I thought how much I love it when women are dressed comfortably and how it feels to be cozy...that sweater is cozy! Now if you want to toss it...I can't stop you, but if you could find some piece of nostalgia that occurred while wearing it, you may enjoy it. I wonder if you are having a bad vibe about it? I also understand if you've outgrown the look or deem it no longer fashionable. I can't tell you how many polo shirts I won't wear.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Jill said...

I think it's really cute but I also wear something like that all the time so I may not be the most objective person weighing in here. I'm interested in the comments because I may just have to retire my sweater as well!

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The view from the male perspective? If I saw you walking down the street, at passing glance I'd think "why is that cute girl wearing a bathrobe?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home