Sunday, April 15, 2007

Calling all techies!

ARG!

Yesterday, I downloaded the newest version of iTunes, 7.1.1.5, as prompted by my computer. All seemed to go well until I checked the library today, and ALL OF MY SONGS ARE MISSING! There is no error message, nor did I experience anything unusual in the downloading process, so I don't know how or why this happened. I have spent more than an hour trying to navigate through Apple's online help center, but even though I have a found a few questions similar to my own, it's like reading a different language and I am afraid to do anything too drastic.

I do seem to have all of my music files saved in my iTunes Music folder on my hard drive, and when I go to play them, they do copy onto iTunes. But do I need to play/copy every single song in order to get back where I started? That could take days! There has to be a better way!

Please, if anyone can help or answer, please comment or email me before I lose my mind (and my music).

THANKS!



4 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although you data is recoverable, it seems as though you are having a software problem. I'm not sure how many songs you have but before you go ahead and transfer all of them back again, I would fold and buy a secondary storage device before the files are missing completely, that's just me though - the engineer - who thinks those concepts are important. Not knowing much about iTunes, there is no "import" capabilities or root file location?

 
At 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello ...


A couple of suggestions ... searh your computer for the 'ITunes Library' file AKA ITunes Database File. (This is the file which tells the ITunes program where on your computer all your music is stored).

Try moving this file from wherever it is now back under the directory where the Itunes music is saved (or try one level up from there). Try closing and re-opening Itunes after each move to see if it picks it up. Also try importing the Itunes Library file directly (go to file>import ... then pick the itunes library file)

If you can't find the library file or can't load it, you can import all your music back into Itunes by dragging and dropping the entire directory where your music is saved, and dropping that entire directory into the Itunes program window (drop it where the list of songs usually shows). This will reimport all your songs but you will lose your play-lists, song ratings etc.

Hope this helps!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks, guys. I ended up importing all my songs from the iTunes Import button, and it only took an hour or two. Thanks to Keith from Reality Remixed for that suggestion. Go and give him some blog love.

I have no idea what is going to happen in the future, but, at least for now, it seems like all of my songs are safe. THANKS AGAIN!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Go Nicole Yourself said...

OMG - I totally forgot to ask you about this. Glad Keith worked it out for ya.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home