Sunday, November 12, 2006

I left my brain in San Diego

So, nothing happened at the gym yesterday, but the rest of the day was a comedy of errors. Buckle up.

I was to start my day with a 9AM appointment at Acura for my 60,000 mile tune-up. Until now, all my tune-ups have been pretty simple, taking only a couple of hours during which I sit and catch up on my magazine reading. I thought this would be the same, but it turns out that it was to take the entire day, and as such, Acura would hook me up with a rental car, free of charge. Sounds great, right? Well, it was, except that I've only rented cars twice in my life and the idea of driving something I wasn't familiar with kind of stressed me out. Nevertheless, I wasn't about to spend the day at Acura, and so, flustered, but cautiously optimistic, I walked across the street to Enterprise.

Paperwork was easy and only took a minute, and I chose a basic Nissan. Just as I was about to get in, however, I suddenly remembered that I had left an important bag in the trunk of my car across the street. I had bought new jeans the week prior, and had planned on taking them to the tailor directly from the dealership. A little embarrassed, I walked back across the street, took the bag out of my trunk, and re-crossed back to Enterprise. I then sat down in the new car, turned the keys in the ignition, and suddenly realized that I had left my house keys attached to my car keys, back in the car across the street. BACK to Acura, fetched the house keys, and re-crossed, red-faced, once again. How did I even make it out of the house this morning? I wondered.

Even after that big debacle, it was still only around 9:30 - too early for the tailor - so I decided to do my food shopping and just relax for a bit. By 10:30, I figured that they must be open (everything opens at 10:00 on Saturdays, right?) and so headed to the place in Brentwood. I pulled in to the shopping center at 10:45, gave my keys to the valet, and saw metal gates where an open door should be. Frustrated, and exhausted by this point, I turned around, retrieved my car from the valet, and started to drive away. All of a sudden, as I'm turning onto Wilshire, the valet taps on my (moving) vehicle to tell me the tailor was about to open. I pull BACK in the lot, hand off the keys, and bring my jeans in.

The woman in charge took one look at the tags hanging from my brand new pair, and said, "So, you're going to chance it?" "Chance what?" I asked. "Shrinkage," she said. "If these haven't been washed yet they are going to shrink and then the hems won't be where you want them. I've had too many customers go through this and I end up having to turn their jeans into capris." Oh, I thought. Then how the hell will my ass ever fit in them? And why have I never had this problem before? Regardless, I didn't want to risk it, so I headed out of the store thinking that maybe I should have just stayed home that day.

Fortunately, the rest of the day got better and passed without incident. Acura even called to tell me that my car would be ready sooner than expected, around 4:00. I went to the dealership straight from the gym, still consumed with thoughts about the stupid trainer drama, dropped the Nissan off, and picked up my Acura, beautifully silver and shiny from her day at the shop. Came home, relaxed, took a shower, and started getting dressed to go out for the night. Wondered to myself what jeans I should wear. And suddenly it hit me:

I had left the new jeans in the trunk of the Nissan that I had dropped off four hours earlier.

UPDATE 11/13: Enterprise has my jeans! I'll pick them up tomorrow. Whew!



1 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Blogger shayze said...

I hate days like that. Sounds like the kind of things I would do though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home