Saturday, November 11, 2006

Gym drama, part infinity

My debacle with Equinox just keeps on going.

I'm not sure where I left off, but I had been set up with a new trainer, Keith, to take Kevin's place. Keith was okay, fine, but our personalities didn't really click and I didn't think he was as good of a trainer as Kevin, but I figured I'd give it a few sessions before I made up my mind. By the end of the second session, two weeks ago, I decided that I just didn't like working out with him and didn't want to do so again. When he asked me if we were on for 10 AM the following Saturday, I told him that I was going away that weekend and that I would be in touch. I wasn't going away, but I figured I could just let this one go and take a break from training for a while until I found someone I could feel really good about.

Last Saturday came and went. I saw him in the gym and was pretty sure he saw me, but figured if anything was mentioned I could always say that my trip got cancelled. Nothing was said. At least not until yesterday, when I received the following email, a copy of which was also sent to the training manager:

Lori,

Per our conversation regarding schedule, I was under the impression that we had a workout scheduled for 11:00am last Saturday. Apparently there was some sort of misunderstanding or miscommunication.


Aside from that, please know that it in regards to training, it is my policy to require that all my clientele purchase a minimum of twelve sessions in advance; I require this commitment in order to set aside the time in my schedule to provide you with the best possible service.

If you wish to continue to train, or you feel that this policy is unnacceptable for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be more than happy to refer your requirements to another trainer.


If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Keith


Um, what? First of all, we never had anything scheduled. I've never even worked out with him at 11 AM. Second, due to my issues with Kevin, I asked Keith the very first time I trained with him if he had a problem training me only once per week. He said he didn't, and I think that might have been an ideal time to mention his little policy about buying a 12-pack. This email was the first I had heard of any such thing. And I find it interesting that he copied the training manager on it, since as of two weeks ago, the manager was on my side, apologizing profusely for Kevin and offering me free sessions. Something has obviously happened since then; I have no idea what.

I "replied to all" that I was not sure why he thought we were on for the week prior, when I had been clear about my plans to be out of town. I said that I was surprised to hear about his policy and that I wished he had mentioned it back when I asked him about training me only once per week. I said that I was also surprised that not buying a 12-pack was a big deal since technically, I'm paying more per session now than if I bought in bulk, but that I understood where he was coming from as a trainer looking to book regular clients. And then I said that given that, thanks anyway, but I would take a break from training for a while until I could find someone else who could better work with my schedule.

That was yesterday morning, 8:30 AM. I haven't gotten a response yet from either. I am just now about to change and head to the gym, and I'm interested to see what, if anything happens.

I just don't understand. Why is this all so hard? I'm practically throwing dollar bills at them (hundred dollar bills, in fact) and they don't want to take them! What do I do? Put the money in a liposuction fund? Oh, well, actually, that's not a bad idea. Recommendations for new trainers and plastic surgeons are welcome.

Labels:



2 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have replied sooner, but I am in the middle of a Laguna Beach marathon, I wonder what trainers these kids use. Anyway, maybe there is a trainer who isn't associated with Equinox that might be better for you since clearly the managers can't control their employees.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks. I am locked into a year membership with Equinox, so switching gyms is out of the question right now. I would be open to a private trainer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home