Friday, October 27, 2006

Happy birthday, Laura!



Today is my friend Laura's 30th birthday. I think she's handling it slightly better than I did, but that's fairly typical, as she is one of the most positive, optimistic people I know.

I've only known Laura for a little over a year, but I consider her one of my closest friends. I also consider her my first "official" L.A. friend - that is, someone I met and befriended out here and not from my previous life in New York. A mutual friend introduced us, and while so many times the two people being introduced never find any common ground greater than the person making the introduction (George to Elaine: So, uh, I guess I'll talk to you through Jerry, then...) Laura and I pretty much hit it off right away.

It was maybe only the second or third time we met that she picked me up to go to the beach. I was comiserating over a guy and had reprogrammed his name in my phone to a word that is unprintable here, and had been extremely proud of my ingenuity. I had told another friend earlier, and she didn't get it, saying if I had to reprogram his name to something that rhymed with "mindsucker", then I shouldn't be dating him at all. Oh, boo, I said, you are missing the point. But when I showed my phone to Laura, she burst out laughing and did the same thing to hers, to the guy whose name now rhymed with "casserole."

I immediately knew that we would get along.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Awesome! Happy b-day to Laura. The 2 of u look young and beautiful. :)

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Wow, I don't want to know about the chicken. Oddly enough, the guy's real name was Keith, so you just gave me a minor heart attack, by the way. And, in completely unrelated news, I just trained with a new trainer whose name was Keith, and talked to the gym's training manager (about the old trainer) whose name was also Keith. Maybe there are just so many of you we NEED creative names.

And Jill, the whole issue with the name change in the first place was wholly and entirely due to Jdate.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Lori said...

But then if I yelled out your name in bed, you'd never be sure who I was talking about.

(Mom, Dad, please disregard).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home