Monday, October 16, 2006

Breaking up is hard to do

You'd think I really did break up with someone by the amount of carrying-on I've done about this whole trainer thing. It hasn't sat well with me since the weekend and I can't stop thinking about it.

Kevin sent me an email earlier to tell me he found someone else to train me and the guy would be contacting me this week. I replied, thanking him, knowing that still wasn't really what I wanted. So then I revisited his email from Saturday, and wrote the following reply:

And to this I don't really know what to say. I had no idea that I was your only Saturday client or that you agreed to train me out of the kindness of your heart. If I had known either of those things we might had this talk long ago, as I don't ever want to be in a working relationship in which I feel indebted to the other person.

I understand now that the business partnership was not working financially in your favor. But I believe that is an issue you should take up with the gym, not me. If it is something that you have already broached with the gym and there was just no solution, I would have understood if you had come to me earlier and suggested I work out with someone new. Back in the spring you introduced me to a few new trainers, and I asked you point blank if you were trying to get rid of me. You said no. And maybe you weren't but I do pick up a tone of resentment from your email that suggests to me that this has been on your mind for a while.

I have worked out with a few trainers over the years and you were by far the best. I didn't go to the gym that first day intending to buy a package, but by the end of the session with you, I couldn't imagine leaving without one.

Thanks again for setting me up with someone new. I would rather have things go back to the way they were in the spring, but I realize that's not possible now. Congratulations again on your wedding. I wish you the very best.

So at least I feel like I'm not some crazy lunatic overreacting to a sick day. Even though I know there have been far too many sick days. Am I a sucker? No, because I still intend on talking to the training manager to finagle some free sessions. But I couldn't let things end with my original email, if for no other reason than I need all the good gym karma in the world right now.

Labels:



2 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, Blogger Jill said...

lol. I hate to say this but I think, if anything, you just stood up for yourself more in this email (rather than trying to be super nice, which I think both emails accomplished anyway). The general message of this email is to say that u know he was trying to get rid of you all along and I think it's great that you said that because what he did was not right. Good for you!! Keep us posted on the new trainer. I hope he ends up being SMOKIN' HOT, skilled and reliable. (and, if he is all of those things, find out if he has a brother, k?? ;))

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks. The new trainer is definitely not smoking hot but that's just as well. I, like you, have a rule to never date anyone from the gym. Been there, done that, never again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home