Thursday, September 14, 2006

Pet Peeve

Why is it, that seemingly every time I'm folding four loads of freshly laundered, fabric-softened, dried-to-a-fluffy-finish clothes, someone takes that moment to step just outside the open laundromat door and smoke a cigarette?

Never mind that I've been at the laundromat for an hour and a half with three weeks worth of clothes, sheets, and towels spinning safely behind the locked doors of industrial machines; this person has to wait until practically my entire washing machine-safe wardrobe is out in the open to threaten my freshly laundered goods with the smell of their cigarette smoke. Please don't strain your blackening lungs by walking half a block down the road - away from the open door. Really, I want my clothes to smell like your disgusting habit. In fact, if Bounce made a dryer sheet that smelled like Burning Tar, I'd be all over that! But since they don't, just yet, please let me stick with Mountain Breeze.

In happier news, my bed arrived, only an hour and a half into the four hour window I was given. I don't know if it's because the mattress has a built-in pillow-top or if the actual mattress is just higher than my last one, but it has dwarfed my adjacent nightstands and practically the rest of my room to near Alice in Wonderland dimensions. I smell a redecorating project on the horizon!

Oh, wait, maybe that's just cigarette smoke.



5 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger shayze said...

Even as a smoker, I at least have the decency to try not to smoke right around entrances to places! It's just rude!

Glad to hear about the new bed! It's always good when you can get a decent night of sleep! Besides, I always love a reason to buy stuff (like having to redecorate since the bed is too tall!).

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Ack! I hope I didn't offend you as a smoker (or anyone else). But I probably did, didn't I? Sorry. It had just been bothering me all day and I didn't really think about it. It also bothers me that my apartment doesn't have laundry and I'm therefore forced to still go to a laundromat. At 30.

In any case, the bed is fantastic, except getting in and out will take some getting used to. I kind of fell this morning when I underestimated the space between the bed and the floor. I didn't fall, exactly, but it wasn't the smoothest wakeup call.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger shayze said...

No, not offended at all! I understand that as a smoker, it's a choice I make and not everyone should have to be subjected to my choice. The only times I go against that are when someone's in my car or my house. Then, I am free to smoke.

I think that is one of the reasons I haven't gone for a really high bed. I know I would fall flat on my face getting up in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning!

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Hey Girl, Guess what?? You inspired me to buy a bed!! I'm not exactly loving it though...how do you like yours? My friend keeps telling me to replace mine with one with a pillow top but I really can't have a HUGE bed in my tiny little place.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Lori said...

That's great! My new bed is actually a bit firmer than I remember it being in the store, but I'm happy with it. It's a hell of a lot better than my last one, so I'm not going to complain. (Also, I spent a lot of money, so I don't want to complain!)

Did you buy the bed already? Mine has a pillow top, and it is nice. If you don't want to buy a mattress with a pillow top, maybe just get one of those foam pads. I got one at Target last year to help with the bad bed, and it did help, at least for a while.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home