Thursday, February 16, 2006

Vote Jan Brady: Most Popular Girl

So, it seems everywhere I turn lately my ears have been inundated with talk of MySpace. "So, I met this girl on My Space and we got totally wasted." "So, I connected with my sixth grade boyfriend on MySpace and he's still just as cute!" "So, I couldn't do any work today because I was obsessed with updating my MySpace profile.".

What started a few years ago first as a way for indie bands to promote themselves, and then as a younger, hipper alternative to Friendster, has in recent months become an all-out nationwide phenomenon. More fun than a dating site, more interactive than email, MySpace is like the modern day equivalent of my college Greek system. Users are known not so much for their individuality, but instead by with whom they associate, and the main objective it seems is to find (or be) the life of the party. Isn't that really all I've ever wanted?

Typically slow to the party, though, I never had much interest in creating my own profile, until over the last few weeks it seemed a day could not go by when those two little words didn't whisper themselves in my ear or flash themselves to me on a page. Rupert Murdoch purchased it in July, lending, if not nothing else, constant buzz and speculation on its future; and, Vanity Fair just dedicated 5 long pages to it (yes, in addition to looking at Tom Ford's dirty pictures I did actually read the articles). Seemingly everyone I know is on it. Or so I thought.

I spent last night creating my page, enjoying mixing the perfect personality profile of equal parts sarcasm and sweetness, heavy on the sarcasm. Browsing (okay - snooping and stalking) was fun too, for a while, until I realized that among the 56 million users, I actually knew very few. One of the integral parts of this entire process is having friends under your space that look attractive and say nice things about you. Some people have 10 friends, other 100, others 500. At press time, I have 2. Turns out, most of the times I heard about MySpace were by people I didn't actually know. At least not well. And therefore probably wouldn't have many nice things to say about me.

So, I beg of anyone having a slow day at work on Friday or time over to the weekend to create a MySpace profile and be my friend. Say something nice. Or just look good. Anything to make me look cool. I'll give you good blog.

Update: I love Gawker. Also, I'm up to 8 friends now! Come on, don't be last on the bandwagon.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home