Saturday, July 01, 2006

"My feet are still on the ground. I'm just wearing better shoes." - Oprah

I have to say, I like when things are easy.

In the 10 days I spent in New York, I managed to ruin 3 pairs of shoes. One was on its (forgive the pun) last legs already, but the other two were new this season. Back in March, I was on the hunt for the perfect summer shoe, specifically eyeing black espedrilles and wedges. I almost spent $200 on a pair by Michael Kors (which Steve Madden has since knocked off) when I saw a pair at Banana Republic for only $68. With skinny leather straps and a cushioned heel, they were prettier, more practical, and more comfortable than Kors, not to mention lighter on the wallet.

I started wearing them two or three times per week; I mean, they go with everything. They quickly became the unofficial shoe of my office: at least three other people have purchased them since me. Stylish, versatile, and comfortable, they were the only heeled shoe I brought with me to New York. And then halfway through my trip, one of the straps broke. Sucks, right?

Not in the least.

I brought the shoes back to Banana Republic today, and was able to exchange them for a BRAND NEW PAIR!!! They still had the style in the right color and size, and happily gave me a replacement. No questions asked. How great is that? Other than the broken strap, the shoes were in good shape, if not a little dirty from frequent wear. But now, half way through the season, I got a sparkling new pair, all for the bargain price of $68. I love you, Banana Republic!

While we are on the subject of shoes, can we talk about flip flops for a minute? There has been a lot in the news recently about the "appropriateness" of flip flops: in the workplace, in the White House, in the fashion food chain. I feel the need to tell you that, in my closet, I currently have 8 pairs of flip flops. Four are the rubber beach kind (to match different bathing suits), but four are leather-soled "dress-up" kind, and by "dress-up", I mean I wear them to work and pretend I look professional. And I just bought a fifth pair online today. (I had to. I ruined their predecessor in New York).

Three years ago, I never would have worn flip flops to work. (Even the nice kind). I used to associate flip flops with my 68 year old grandmother, whose bunions forced her to compile an entire shoe wardrobe of flip flops in every color under the sun. Now I am becoming my grandmother. Only instead of stocking up on primary colors that match Golden Girl garments, I have silver, gold, charcoal, and black. Flip flops for the 21st Century. Bunions have nothing to do with it.

I realize that the backlash has begun and this will probably be my last summer relying on flip flops to finish my outfit. But what do I have to look forward to? Crocs?

I'm already on it. Our new Spa sells them, and I got my first pair free.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home