Thursday, July 13, 2006

Like Meatloaf said, two out of three ain't bad

A few years ago, there was an episode of Sex and the City that started with Carrie saying something to the effect of "New York women are always looking for a great job, a great apartment, or a great boyfriend; yet it never seems possible to have all three at the same time." I'm know I'm not the first pop-culture princess to compare herself to Carrie Bradshaw, but this particular line has always resonated with me.

Right now, professionally, I feel on top of my game. My employers basically give me free reign, and I have the knowledge and confidence to know what to do with it. My office environment is the best I've ever had, and I feel like I have room to grow within the company and within the industry.

My apartment isn't any Gehry wonder, but it's cute and spacious, and if I really applied myself, I could make it into something quite wonderful. It's large enough to entertain more than 25 of my closest friends, and close enough to everything I could ever want, including a Starbucks practically spitting distance from my door. (But not that close. That would make my block commercial, and it is so deliciously residential.)

Overall, my life is pretty damn good. So why is it so hard to find someone to share it with?

Labels: ,



13 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you found your Jack Tripper or whoever else constitutes a perfect boyfriend, think of how boring your blog would become. Bloggers in healthy, adult relationships are the Kenny G of the Internet, and after all, your readership is what really matters here.

So until you find your Dr. Fleishman or your Cicely, I'm really enjoying your blog. You have a self-depreciating wit and command of language that I like. Keep writing.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Thanks Joe. BTW, did I ever write that Jack Tripper is EXACTLY who I have pictured as the perfect boyfriend, or was that just an intuitive/lucky guess? It's right on the money.

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori. I am Jack Tripper. My life seems to be one epic misunderstanding after another. "You liked that girl? I thought you liked this other girl!" Exit Mister Furley and cue the laugh track. It was intuition that mustered the name of your dreamboat. As for what that means, I'll leave it to you. You seem to have a good handle on the mysteries of the human heart.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Wow. Did you read my blog back when I called it "Lori's Regal Beagle"? I was in search of a name and (back before the redesign) used that Janet picture as my photo, so it seemed appropriate. I can't say I'm Janet, but I have been the brunette roommate with a blond girl and another guy, and I do like a good neighborhood bar, so I guess you could say that my I've spent my life kind of following the script. And of course, I'm only a few miles east of Santa Monica.

Meanwhile, I went over to your site (before I saw your second comment) and my stomach dropped when I saw that you had an enire category titled "Three's Company."

Want to start a support group?

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha! I only came across your awesome blog this afternoon and had no inkling into your past life as the grounded brunette roommate who is the voice of reason while chaos ensues around her week after week.

There's always the possibility that we fail to realize how a simple sitcom has become a secret force behind our lives, however, I will chalk all this up as fate if you're willing to.

Are you always this witty and full of surprises?

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Lori said...

Witty, yes, surprises, no.

I think that there was a reason Three's Company was so popular and continues to be all these years later - it's just so relatable.

And with that, I'm off to write a thesis on sitcoms of the late 1970's and their effects on the latch-key kids that watched them...

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you need any help with your thesis Lori, drop me a comment. I'm also an expert on subtext rife in "Land of the Lost".

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lori, awesome blog, you are an inspiration. We met as frosh and I would say that you are Crissy without the snogging. Plus, you have a good head on your shoulders and definately can uphold your end of a conversation. Can't say I'm a man of many words, but its good to see how much you are enjoying life.

Loyal Reader,
noJ

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

you aren't gonna get much advice from me

....you probably assumed that though huh?

I'm sitting in that same lovely boat.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Lori said...

NoJ - Great to hear from you - how did you find me?

Dustin, careful about sitting in my boat - I get seasick.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are on the SU Alumni listserve silly. Slow and steady wins the race - The Tortoise And The Hair.

Loyal Reader,
noJ

P.S. I never believed those rumors about you marrying a Delt.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Lori said...

A Delt? No way! I'm still holding out for an SAE...

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

i know, i saw that.
very cute as usual
would i be too demanding if i requested more pictures?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home